000_3050.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 000_3051.JPG
    000_3051.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 000_3054.JPG
    000_3054.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 100
Nice find. These coins are common in sites out west. I forget the exact years but it dates approx 1736-1795 or so. These coins do show up at later sites. I once came across a 1900's sewing basket that had a dozen sewed on. Apparently someone acquired a bunch of these old coins for commercial use. You other finds appear to be early 20th century so I would bet it had a similar use. But it is still a 200 year old coin. They don't have much value due to the huge amount available from China. But it tells quite a story and is a neat find.

Upvote 0
Really nice digs

The Chinese coin can be dated by matching the pics on this website

http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/index.html

They don't all date back to the 1700's. I found one a little while back that dated to the 1930's

So you will need to do some reading. And match the characters to the coin you have with the coins on the link

Upvote 0
Your coin you found is old. way before 1930. I can't read Chinese so I can't date it exactly. And there are lots of varieties. They will have a different mint mark for where they were made. They say the dynasty so you can never get an exact year. i.e. similar if a coin was made today that said, 'Smith Administration'. And you would know then is was made from 2016-2020, etc.

You coin looks like the like the 'smaller' type coin which is the more common coin out west. The first pic attached is of a circa 1920's sewing basket with these old coins attached.

I think they were sewn on other things for decoration. I know of one found at the beach in California and I believe it was lost in this context. second pic is a close up of one of the coins.

I dug one of these coins at an 1820's house in VA that is still used today. I believe this particular coin was lost in the 1920's or 30's in this sort of decorative context.

Last pic are of Chinese coins I personally dug in 1850s gold camps out west. Note the variety. so the Chinese brought old coins with them when they came to the US starting with the CA gold rush. The larger style is even older and can date to the mid/late 1600's. I have only dug three of the larger style. All others are the smaller and date to the 18th century. All these came from pure sites and had no contamination. Not even a pull tab. all 1850's targets. The non-Chinese mined this area first. Then after the 'easy' gold was found the Chinese moved in and worked in groups to share the gold. They really dug it out. I personally have never even heard of a post-1800's Chinese coin dug in the West.

These can date even older but the older coins are way rarer to dug out west. I am certain yours is an old coin. I just can't tell you what it says or exactly which specific coin it is. You would need someone who can read Chinese to see it. It would give you a better insight as to where it was made etc. but I would still ballpark it to mid/late 1700's. neat find.

Attachments

• unknown 008.jpg
    unknown 008.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 90
  • unknown 009.jpg
    unknown 009.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6295.JPG
    IMG_6295.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your coin you found is old. way before 1930. I can't read Chinese so I can't date it exactly. And there are lots of varieties. They will have a different mint mark for where they were made. They say the dynasty so you can never get an exact year. i.e. similar if a coin was made today that said, 'Smith Administration'. And you would know then is was made from 2016-2020, etc. You coin looks like the like the 'smaller' type coin which is the more common coin out west. The first pic attached is of a circa 1920's sewing basket with these old coins attached. I think they were sewn on other things for decoration. I know of one found at the beach in California and I believe it was lost in this context. second pic is a close up of one of the coins. I dug one of these coins at an 1820's house in VA that is still used today. I believe this particular coin was lost in the 1920's or 30's in this sort of decorative context. Last pic are of Chinese coins I personally dug in 1850s gold camps out west. Note the variety. so the Chinese brought old coins with them when they came to the US starting with the CA gold rush. The larger style is even older and can date to the mid/late 1600's. I have only dug three of the larger style. All others are the smaller and date to the 18th century. All these came from pure sites and had no contamination. Not even a pull tab. all 1850's targets. The non-Chinese mined this area first. Then after the 'easy' gold was found the Chinese moved in and worked in groups to share the gold. They really dug it out. I personally have never even heard of a post-1800's Chinese coin dug in the West. These can date even older but the older coins are way rarer to dug out west. I am certain yours is an old coin. I just can't tell you what it says or exactly which specific coin it is. You would need someone who can read Chinese to see it. It would give you a better insight as to where it was made etc. but I would still ballpark it to mid/late 1700's. neat find.

You were dead on with the age. Shan Lung series cash coin. As early as 1770-1796

I was bored and started looking at matches

The front side with 4 characters tells you what emperor the coins were minted for. And the back 2 characters tells you what mint they came from

I wasn't questioning your knowledge just wanted the op to know not all cash coins are old. I thought for sure the one I found was really old. It was very brittle. But after doing some research it turned out to be pretty modern

Attachments

• image-746875895.jpg
    image-746875895.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back