Found in Upper Michigan

thewildjay

Nov 12, 2013
Upper Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently a Whites Coinmaster 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always metal detecting around my area. Float copper is one of my favorites but i also find some old coins. A friend of mine is a hunter as well and ran across something that a dector would never find.
This rock with about a 3" hole cut into it. I have done some checking around on it and figure it is prehistoric. I would like to see if anyone has run across anything like this before and could give me more info on it.
If nothing else,give me some links to figure out what it is,what era it is,and what it's worth.

Thank you

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 163
Well after hunting the web again.I found the answer that I was looking for.It's a "nutting stone" from what I can figure.Not worth much,but a neat piece to have up on the shelf.

Upvote 0
I have found some like it and found that the Indians made this for grinding plants for dies like a mortar and pedestal

Upvote 0
Nice stone artifact. Have you found any copper pre-historic worked peices? I found a triangle shaped peice of copper, which after washing the green mud off looks like hammered copper artifact. This is my third year of hunting and when I am in Northern WI is do some field walking with the hope of finding a peice of natural copper. Good job and good luck.

Attachments

• 102_4120.JPG
    102_4120.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
I see you from norther Il. I am from N Il. also. I have found small quarter/ nickel size pieces of native copper,float copper, drift copper in farm fields before. This amazing 35lb. monster I found over the summer here in N Il. So its here. DSC00546.JPG
Nice stone artifact. Have you found any copper pre-historic worked peices? I found a triangle shaped peice of copper, which after washing the green mud off looks like hammered copper artifact. This is my third year of hunting and when I am in Northern WI is do some field walking with the hope of finding a peice of natural copper. Good job and good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back