Found in an old graveyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
Is it a marker? A gas tank lid?
?

IMG_20130625_134030.jpg

I didn't try to dig it up. Just cleared to take a photograph.

I have ancestors there and WAS NOT DIGGING! I saw the marker, wasn't sure what it was, asked my eighty-year-old grandmother who also wasn't sure and posted here.

I find it strange that I have to defend myself about taking and posting a picture...

Sorry I should have kept a Closer Eye on this thread.

Being I knew you were not Hunting the grave yard I thought No foul
& everyone would respect your thread :(

Jeff

Upvote 0
creskol, how do you feel about a detectorist finding an entire solder from the cival war?

Do you think the hobbyist should leave the CS buckle and rebury, or should he keep what he found and notify authorities, not keep anything and notify authorities? How about sunk ship salvors? Many times these ships are considered coffins for the men that died in the tragedy. How do you feel about someone searching these areas? How about in SanFransisco? The whole place burned down and many many died. Is it OK to dig in these areas?

I am not familiar with the "Cival War" .. sorry .. can't answer that question. As for the others, I am afraid that I might get spanked for violating the "Forum Rules"

Upvote 0
I am not familiar with the "Cival War" .. sorry .. can't answer that question. As for the others, I am afraid that I might get spanked for violating the "Forum Rules"

Wouldn't be just You. I'm debating on cleaning up the thread

This is the What is it section.

Respect gentleart's thread ! & no this is not Directed at you personally

Upvote 0
You can delete it if you'd like. My question was answered, kindly.

Sorry to stir up trouble. I thought where the marker was found would be important.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't post my great, great uncle's head stone. Lol

Upvote 0
So creskol, you don't know anything about the civil war, or you don't know that I mis spelled civil? Thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0
You can delete it if you'd like. My question was answered, kindly.

Sorry to stir up trouble. I thought where the marker was found would be important.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't post my great, great uncle's head stone. Lol

I believe your Thread deserves to stay, in case anyone else is curious.

plus I'm not convinced it's a Plot Marker . Not with Bolts :dontknow:
Sorry QUICKSILVER :tongue3: don't the holes they put people who were cremated look similar.
and also some Gas or Sewerage Caps ?

I'm just not Convinced :dontknow: of course I never saw a plot marker

https://www.google.com/search?clien...060,d.dmg&fp=85849b3c163f84a5&biw=800&bih=442

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So creskol, you don't know anything about the civil war, or you don't know that I mis spelled civil? Thank you for your reply.

No sir .. I know absolutely nothing about anything .. maybe even less than that.

Upvote 0
Permission or not I personally would be weirded out digging in a grave yard; abandoned or not. It is great that you are caring for the property.

Upvote 0
I think Creskol is basically right... There are incidents were metal detecting a grave-yard for historical/archaeology information per property owners permission is in it's right mind. I don't think detecting a grave yard just for the shake of digging old coins or buttons for your collection is right. It should be for historical documentation. I didn't mean to cause an heated thread.

Upvote 0
Is it a marker? A gas tank lid?
?

View attachment 819340

I didn't try to dig it up. Just cleared to take a photograph.

i dont think it is a plot marker,it might be a casing, that holds an urn, if you look at the jpg i see words and
what looks like a engraved box, red marks, next time you go there brush the dirt away and see if you can
read it, i tried to enhance to read,thats the best i could do, the info is just an example of a cemetery
rule,could be if yours is an urn,it was housed in such a way so it would not come to the surface

some info
5) Cremated remains will not be permitted to be scattered in any part of the Cemetery. Interment of cremated remains will be permitted only in appropriate rigid receptacles such as wood, metal, plastic or concrete.
http://www.maplewoodcemetery.org/MWC Rules.htm

marker 2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a marker I have seen others like that in other grave yards.

Upvote 0
Gentleheart unwittingly started a significant thread because it brings up questions I think that many detectorists have wondered about but have been afraid to ask. Is it a matter of ethics to not detect an old cemetery or is it a legal issue? It is my understanding (and I don't know from where this came) that after a certain amount of time (maybe 100 years?), that remains that are buried in a cemetery can be disinterred to make room for other burials. I also wonder why it is ethically OK for archeologists to study 5,000 year old mummies and then display them in museums, when clearly, those people were preserved by their loved ones in the belief that they would remain preserved in their tombs for all eternity. I guess my question is where do we draw the line between what's OK and what's not? Personally, I leave cemeteries alone- I don't want to bring home any negative "jou jou".

Upvote 0
This subject has been covered here many times over the years. Anything said in thread has been said already a dozen times or more, just have too do a search....

I repeat topic can be locked at any time...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
You folks have really got me (new member) thinking now... I started a thread this month in "Todays Finds" entitled "Metal Detecting TN. cave / Anybody done this?" And many people have chimed in with what I'm about to do. NEVER DID I EXPECT THIS MUCH INTEREST IN THIS CAVE. Now, while I really never expected to find a grave doing my search you folks got me thinking about ... if I do. Now I can't get it out of my mind. And there are places within where this is possible. I was thinking more in lines of artifacts, a civil war cache or ... whatever? But now?????

Upvote 0
At the end of my road is a mostly abandoned grave yard. Most of the graves had been exhumed and moved to the newer incorporated village graveyard in the early 20th century. there are still some old family plots dating to the very early 1800's way back by the wood line. With permission of the caretaker, I have T.H.ed the cleared area from where the graves were moved. The oldest coin was an 1800 1/2 cent and a votive candle holder from that time period. I kept the coin and reburied the holder. Also from the woods around the outside of the perimeter came standing liberty quarter a ring without stone and an 1854 reale --so, with permission and avoiding the buried, I see nothing wrong with the practice.

Upvote 0
It is very similar to some of the plot markers we use to tag plots that are paid for but not yet filled.

As for abandoned graveyards, one of my best spots was a graveyard that was removed and relocated 75yrs ago. Never felt bad about detecting the Barron ground and never will. Owner tells me they think they got them all. As long as permission is obtained, people have no right to judge and if they do, frankly they can pound sand. Don't tell others what to do on theirs or their friends land.

Upvote 0
Thread is locked...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back