Found in a rock shelter in Southern, Ohio.

Quest1804

Nov 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! I found this in a rock shelter (on private property) in the Ohio River area of Southern Ohio a couple days ago. I've shown it to a few archaeologist friends and they've had varying guesses at what it might be. What do y'all think? It's concave, and one of the pieces has a slight taper from thick to thin. Also - the pattern on the inside has me baffled. Lots of flakes and shells were also found in the cave, so I'm fairly confident that it has had human habitation there before. (The photo where it looks darker is after recently being washed) Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    824.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3164.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG
    945.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    739.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 45
Reminds me of a weathered piece of coconut hull/shell
Appears to have the same thickness as well as curvature.
Also a coconut shell tapers thinner at one end.
coconut.jpg
hull.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pottery or a dried out piece of leather that inside texture looks like the leather.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a broken piece of a gourd. Native Americans used these as vessels, ladles, spoons, dippers, etc. Enlarge the pictures in the link & you will see the interior grain patterns.

gourd_containers_survival_primitive_skills_480x360.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a broken piece of a gourd. Native Americans used these as vessels, ladles, spoons, dippers, etc. Enlarge the pictures in the link & you will see the interior grain patterns.

Makes more sense to me that a piece of gourd would be found in a rock shelter in southern Ohio than a coconut,
even though gourds and coconuts share similar patterns inside. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They are similar to a coconut shell. Many times these fragments will be discarded , or overlooked. If there are many pieces in a shelter, you can pick those up & put them back together to see what the tool was. Another common use was as a " rattle."

Natural_Gourd_Rattle.jpg

Upvote 0
All good suggestions above. Could it be a pottery shard?
dts

Upvote 0
I don't see any evidence of it being " fired," so I rule out pottery. Plus the inner side shows evidence of plant life.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back