Found in a carpenters chest

Snaggerr

Jun 7, 2013
Upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a dozen of these the folds down there about two feet long and are homemade .

image-3780494839.jpg

image-2249832360.jpg

image-4291723183.jpg

I'm guessing maybe surveying
Thanks for any help you can give

My guess is a framing guide, used in a jig, ir safety stops/limiter.

Upvote 0
if they were reflective at one time they could be mirrors for mechanics..images.jpg

Upvote 0
if they were reflective at one time they could be mirrors for mechanics..View attachment 1133883

THis is the first thing I thought of. Do you notice the handle is a brazing rod soldered to the clamp that holds the disc? And that the disc is burned? THis is a homemade heat shield for sweating small copper fittings for Air conditioning or plumbing copper. You put this behind the fitting while you solder it so what is behind it does not burn or catch fire. They have these in many sizes and some are made of asbestos.

Cheers all

Upvote 0
THis is the first thing I thought of. Do you notice the handle is a brazing rod soldered to the clamp that holds the disc? And that the disc is burned? THis is a homemade heat shield for sweating small copper fittings for Air conditioning or plumbing copper. You put this behind the fitting while you solder it so what is behind it does not burn or catch fire. They have these in many sizes and some are made of asbestos.

Cheers all

I agree with trdking. Sometimes tradesmen need an item for doing specific jobs, jigs for making or protecting things, and if one isn't readily available they build them. Sometimes if you aren't there to see what's being done, then good luck figuring it out.

Upvote 0

Cheers all

I think that's a pretty good guess. Im just wondering why you would have a dozen of them in your tool box. One could last a lifetime. If they would be different configurations for different applications I would understand, but all the same?!?!? I usually use an asbestos shingle or pc of aluminum coil stock, bent or trimmed to fit into certain places.

Upvote 0
Are all of them EXACTLY the same? If not, what is different?

If they are the same, why would you need 12 of them?

Are the disks burned black or do they simply look that way?

What era are the other tools? Tools from the 20's may be way different than tools from the 60's.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I could use those to build concrete forms, run a plumb line, set a line of bricks, aaaaaaa.

Upvote 0
All those things in a carpenter's chest, what an xray that would be, I hope he survived the procedure(LOL).....Joe McDonough

Upvote 0
maybe he had a crew of plumbers

Upvote 0
At first I thought low-tech, walk behind distance finder. Might there be one marker, either of paint or bump at the (let's say) 12 o'clock position on the disk? It might be used to measure a room for carpet. Hold it so the wheel is down on the floor and push and count every RPM. If the circumference is 12" and you count 11 RPM, that distance is 11 feet. So measure the circumference of the disk and have fun.

OR

Someone might use it in the garden to push into the soil. Make a line the dirt, drop a seed then step on the dirt and continue.

Upvote 0
They are all the same nicely made I would say 50s era by the trunk age.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's like metal detecting the fun part is figuring out what u have.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back