FOUND CAPPED BUST HALF DIME oh yeah

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image-2878382210.jpg
    image-2878382210.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 14
PM me that Erik I've been told to do this and boil on the stove please explain I'd like to try it! How long do I let it sit!! By the way thanks for the 2x's and beeswax!

I learned this technique in England for cleaning silver that has been in the ground for a long time and comes out of the ground with thick oxidation on it like my William III love token I posted last summer.

Basically you wet the coin and wrap it tightly in small square piece of aluminum foil (I like the thinner stuff). You press down on the foil, but don't rub the foil on the coin. You will feel it getting warm to the touch as it's working. After a minute or so unwrap the coin--it should smell a bit like rotten eggs. Then just wash it off with water and some mild dish soap. Repeat the process a couple times as necessary. Works well for silver that is very dirty. Maybe one of the other methods posted is better :dontknow: -- I've never tried them. I have heard of another technique with a small piece of foil in a solution--maybe someone will post it in detail here. I'd first check with one of the "coin collectors" (see the cleaning thread posted in the last week by DirtDodger) here as to which method(s) aren't considered destructive cleaning:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/368235-erik-s-question-cleaning-some-info.html

Last edited:
Thanks ray haven't seen you in awhile!

Still around, actually been saving a great story of a site I have been working for weeks, the treasures are just spillin out. Thought I would wait till I have no more acess to share my finds and story. Hopefully after this next weekend you will see it.

Still around, actually been saving a great story of a site I have been working for weeks, the treasures are just spillin out. Thought I would wait till I have no more acess to share my finds and story. Hopefully after this next weekend you will see it.

Or you could let some of us guys come hunt it with you!! Lol... C'mon ray share the wealth

She is a beauty, I would love to find one.

Saweeeeeeeeet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back