✅ SOLVED Found at yard sale what is it?????

hardesje

Aug 5, 2023

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 153
I’m probably way off base, but at first sight I thought of Car Badges (my term). Many European travelers had such items on their (fancy) touring cars. Similar to the decals put on luggage; they showed ones worldliness and sophistication. Great conversation starters around the men’s clubs and manors. But again, I’m just playing a hunch. Oh, I really like them and in my opinion they would have great intrinsic value, if they are not reproductions. 👍🏼

Upvote 1
Reminds me of the collector spoons concept. When we lived in Europe (71-75, 82-85, 88-92) people collected spoons, coat of arms (Tourist pieces), and Volks Marching medals.

Some of the coat of arms were curved, so that they could be attached to your walking stick. There were friends of mine that had several sticks as they would fill one up pretty quick. Other people stuck them to a tapestry.

Upvote 10
Reminds me of the collector spoons concept. When we lived in Europe (71-75, 82-85, 88-92) people collected spoons, coat of arms (Tourist pieces), and Volks Marching medals.

Some of the coat of arms were curved, so that they could be attached to your walking stick. There were friends of mine that had several sticks as they would fill one up pretty quick. Other people stuck them to a tapestry.
Makes sense. They are a little too small for a car badge. 👍🏼

Upvote 0
Nice little collection. They all have pretty much the same surround as on this souvenir spoon for Rheinfall in Switzerland, It's silver plate but I would guess the same maker or designer, specializing in souvenir-ware.

Spoon.jpg

Perhaps that's someone's personal collection, but although it represents a disparate set of places they all have something in common. They're popular sequential ports for Mediterranean/Aegean tourist cruises. I would think these might have been sold on board a cruise ship as memorabilia of the places visited.

Cruise Ports.jpg

Upvote 10
Looked at these on line. Doesn’t appear to be cut from a spoon… no marks on bottom, but definitely resembles it!

Yes... I don't believe them to have been cut from spoons, and the backs are not consistent with spoon handles. Emblems like this are used on a wide variety of souvenir-ware.... to affix on walking sticks, on rucksacks, as bracelet charms, lapel pins or whatever. Yours show no signs of having had loops or other attachment devices and perhaps were only produced as standalone souvenir badge emblems.

Note the use of the Italian names for Naples and Genoa (Napoli and Genova respectively) but not the Greek name for Rhodes (Rodos). What does it say underneath the word 'Rhodes'? Usually in Greek it would be ΔΗΜΟΣ ΡΟΔΟΥ (Municipality of Rhodes) but that's not what it looks like.

Upvote 2
Spoon medallions.
OR... some sort of unfinished pins / brooch / charm thinga-ma-bob's

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Somebody traveled Europe and picked up souveniers at each city. I bought country patches (I'm cheap).

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back