GWalter

Apr 19, 2014
Athens,PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[SUB] CM140607-11592203.jpgCM140607-11582001.jpgCM140607-12153101.jpg[/SUB]
Found this item at an old one room school house site this morning. Looks to be silver, it is stamped Sterling but is very tarnished. It is very thin wondering if it was attached to something else? Any help with ID would be great. Thanks in advance.

looks like the side plate to an old pocket knife, circa 1890's

Upvote 0
Yep, decorative side plate to pocketknife, letter opener, comb, or brush! Great find, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
website-WZ602__1.jpg
Think you may be right. Although not a perfect match this knife is very close. Now I will have to go back and see if I can find the other half and the blades.

Upvote 0
If the two pics are of both sides of the item.....why is it engraved on both sides if it is made to be a knife or similar? Wouldnt it only be engraved on one side?

Upvote 0
If the two pics are of both sides of the item.....why is it engraved on both sides if it is made to be a knife or similar? Wouldnt it only be engraved on one side?
Wow that penknife design is close. I think its very thin and the design is machine stamped not engraved and thats why it can be seen in reverse on the other side. Its flipped end to end as well as reversed in the first post.

Can you post the link of that penknife GWalter?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow that penknife design is close. I think its very thin and the design is machine stamped not engraved and thats why it can be seen in reverse on the other side. Its flipped end to end as well as reversed in the first post.

Can you post the link of that penknife GWalter?

Here is the link
Victorian Engravable Scroll Pocket Knife | Bella & Chloe
and you are correct it is stamped. Sorry about the orientation of the pics forgot to add the coin for scale in my fist set of pictures.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back