Found a spot to dig in Massachusetts!

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am a newbie for sure. First metal detector was for Christmas so I have been out a total of 3 or 4 times. But I love researching local history so Winter has not been unproductive! Anyways, found a place through research I thought may have an old cellar hole from a farmhouse. Went there today and sure enough it was there, barely! Its in a wooded area, lots of leaves on the ground so I was able to dig some targets with a but of struggle but I managed. Found what I think is an old pulley or perhaps a wheel? What do you think? Also, how do I clean this? I soaked it a bit and got a good amount of but not sure what else to do. Any tips would be appreciated.

Heres hoping for some real treasures when the ground isnt ice!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453850336.954221.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453850350.621771.jpg

Upvote 12
Try soaking in apple cider vinegar :icon_thumleft:

WELCOME NEW MEMBER AND NOT SURE WHAT YOUR FIND IS BUT INTERESTING . I WAS AT A STORE FEW HOURS AGO AND A BUNCH OF GIGANTIC SNOW PLOWS FROM MASS WAS CALLED TO HELP PLOW THE ROADS BECAUSE MARYLAND DOSENT HAVE EQUIPMENT TO HANDLE IT . DANG TRUCKS ARE MASSIVE . ONE GUY SAID THIS IS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT THEY GET .

Welcome to the party. Nice that you found something. Good Luck and Happy Hunting with the new Metal Detector.

Two guesses:

Is it a crank wheel from a coffee grinder?
or,
if the outer rim is narrow, might be a wheel for a very early toy; they were a horse pulling a two wheel cart.

We had 6-7" here, and now in a very warm spell, so I may not be done with the 2015 MD season...yet. The woods were not frozen, so that warmer ground might melt the snow quicker.

What detector did you get for the holidays? Good luck to ya on future hunts as well!

Welcome nice find keep posting love to see peoples finds. You got a detector for Christmas it is addicting and lots of fun.

Good start take the TNET member Gaspipe with you next time to show you the ropes out there:thumbsup:
He is from out that way..

~Blaze

Welcome to T Net!
Congrats on getting out and finding relics!
You may get to do some more digging this week, it's going into the 50's on Sunday!.....then it may go back into the deep freeze next week, so go for it!
If there's a rock wall around there be sure to check it with your detector.

Nice job on the research and a cool find! Keep at it, your coil will find the goodies! :icon_thumleft:

You'll never be the same! Haha, my addiction was finalized when I found my first real find. An 1832 large cent, almost perfect condition. Since then, every chance I get I'm out looking. I've recently gotten into researching old records at the courthouse here, and might i say. This year I hope will be very fun. Welcome to metal detectors anonymous! Lol

Hi and welcome. You've come to the right place to learn and share, and a nicer bunch of people can't be found. Western Ma has a ton of great places to detect, but it sounds to me like you're finding that out already. Good luck!

Found this under antique blacksmith tools, looks close------thW90ATDYE blacksmith tool.jpg

Welcome to an incredibly interesting hobby and to a great site. I agree with the clothesline pulley guess. Not all TNet members are probably old enough to remember seeing one, let alone using one.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back