Found a coin on an old site but what is it?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a few days ago on an old site. It appears old, hammered and Spanish. Can anyone ID it?

Well shiver me timbers! I guess I'm still in a food coma and uploaded the wrong pictures. Other coin was from...somewhere. I need to mark them better. And it's sad because I don't have many coins. Here's the correct one.

IMG_1133.JPGIMG_1134.JPG

Somebody get me some caffeine!

Last edited:
I cannot provide any help with the I.D. Just wanted to be the first to express envy. Great save!

Upvote 0
Thanks. The last one I got was toast, this one is much better.

Upvote 0
I THINK its in copper - so a Maravedis. Still junky though. I guess that's the date, but don't know the rest of the markings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's so cool. Fricken old too. I'm with Banner No. 9

Upvote 0
Thanks Mackaydon! I have found a 15th century coin here in silver, it's Germanic from what we can tell but it's shot, so I suppose this fits. It was a very, very early site here on the East Coast. I THINK it's in copper!

Upvote 0
They are all over Ebay. And flea markets. And antique stores. Probably coming to a Coin Star near us too. Speaking of coin stars, I almost threw my one and only seated half in one with a box of halves I was dumping. I caught it in the nick of time! (That was one I had purchased.) I also traded for a few of the Maravedis from a friend a couple months back, although they are so common I'm not sure why I did that. I've only dug a few in my life, all near navigable waterways. I don't know where the quadzillion being sold these days are coming from. My first was found along an old Indian trail used also by the Conquistadors in the late 16th century. That was before "Maryland" was "Maryland". It's kind of like Spanish cobs. 20 years ago they were very, very pricey IF you could find one. Now with all the shipwrecks, they are for sale everywhere. I've only found a few of those ever myself! Note to self: find more!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back