Attachments

• IMG_20231229_212148396.jpg
    IMG_20231229_212148396.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20231228_105618458.jpg
    IMG_20231228_105618458.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 10
I know it isn't, but it looks like a fossilized kiwi fruit.

5111067366_539bebe34c_b.jpg

Not sure what this is called but it's some kind of fossil
Crinoid cross section most likely. That's really what it looks like, we have a TON of such fossils in the shale of the Sandia mountains overlooking my city. Up there you find them willy nilly in the rocks in many areas. I'd bet a crisp $10 bill that it's a crinoid. Extremely ancient as fossils go, I wanna say 3-4 billion years(?), don't quote that number lol

Crinoid cross section most likely. That's really what it looks like, we have a TON of such fossils in the shale of the Sandia mountains overlooking my city. Up there you find them willy nilly in the rocks in many areas. I'd bet a crisp $10 bill that it's a crinoid. Extremely ancient as fossils go, I wanna say 3-4 billion years(?), don't quote that number lol

The ribbed and ridged external structure and interior radial pattern is very typical for rugose horn corals as shown below, but not typical for crinoids.

Horn Coral.jpg

Horn Coral2.jpg

[PS: True crinoids don’t predate 485 million years ago, with possible ancestral forms from the Burgess Shale at no older than half a million years. Fossils with the kind of age you’re imagining are only known as primitive colonial micro-organisms, the oldest being cyanobactaeria at around 3.5 billion years.]

The ribbed and ridged external structure and interior radial pattern is very typical for rugose horn corals as shown below, but not typical for crinoids.

View attachment 2127060
View attachment 2127061

[PS: True crinoids don’t predate 485 million years ago, with possible ancestral forms from the Burgess Shale at no older than half a million years. Fossils with the kind of age you’re imagining are only known as primitive colonial micro-organisms, the oldest being cyanobactaeria at around 3.5 billion years.]
I'm no fossil expert, as I said don't quote me on this one. I'll defer to what you're saying here, you're probably right. It looks like some of the crinoids I've seen but in terms of morphology I've not researched the particulars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back