May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
(I didn't see this previously posted by anyone else so excuse me if this is redundant but...)

Banks send in their loose coins via coinLOK bags and they can be very good sources of findings. Banks that manually receive in rolls and loose change by depositors may sit on a partial bag for weeks before there is enough in it to send in. They are more than happy to get rid of the bag if you were to ask to buy it. That's what I do. I haven't tried it with coin counter banks but I'm sure you can get the same results there if you ask a teller. You might get some dumps included in there, but if you stick to the lower denoms you stand a better chance of fresh customer change.

Banks will segregate denoms into separate bags. And CoinLOK Bags have a limit as to how much coin can be added before the bag is considered "full" (though I know some banks that will actually set lower maxes than these for their bags, especially when it comes to the "penny arcades".):

1₵ Pennies (yes, it says “pennies” on the bag) = $50
5₵ Nickels = $200
10₵ Dimes = $1000
25₵ Quarters = $1000
50₵ Halves = $1000
$1 Dollars = $2000​

I got some great War nickels, a 1961 Rosie, and some interesting foreigns in bags of nickels and dimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried asking at my pick up bank which has a coin counter behind their counter and was told they don't want to sell to customers because the bags could be off or could contain foreign- had to laugh inside as we all know boxes are short and contain foreign all the time-

Tried asking at my pick up bank which has a coin counter behind their counter and was told they don't want to sell to customers because the bags could be off or could contain foreign- had to laugh inside as we all know boxes are short and contain foreign all the time-

I buy pennies this way when I can. Knowing that the dimes in bags of cents will more than off-set any foreign coin or shortage, I tell them I am willing to accept the risk.

You should have said you don't care if they contain foreign or are slightly short.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back