122.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Coill top 2.jpg
    Coill top 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Coil Bottom.jpg
    Coil Bottom.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Fishguy, the scuff coat is the coil cover. The detector was never used without one, but I took it off to take pictures of the coil bottom and broke it when I stepped on it. They can be purchased for around $15 from Tesoro or other vendors.

Still for sale.

Last edited:
Great detector for that price, surprised it hasn't sold. That is $100 less than new and will not depreciate much more for years to come, anyone who buys it can sell it 3 years after buying and still get their money back....

If I hadn't just bought a Tesoro Sand Shark to add to my arsenal I would be tempted..

Last edited:
ok dumb question I see you also use an xterra 705 I had a 505 till somebody decided they needed it more than I do... But what is the learning curve of going to this machine?

Have you air tested your Vaquero? What does it get on dime, nickel, quarter?

ok dumb question I see you also use an xterra 705 I had a 505 till somebody decided they needed it more than I do... But what is the learning curve of going to this machine?

I could possibly answer your question somewhat. It is like apples and oranges. The 705 will tell you a lot more due to visual ID, but every detector you must get used to the sounds first. The Vaquero is a single tone, but once you start using it a lot, you will eventually know how deep something is by the sound and the way it reacts and also what is under the coil. If you invest some time to learn the way it "talks" it will make you a better detectorist overall and it will be more reliable in a way then the 705. It took me about 10-12 hunts to start to become adept with using the Vaquero, but then it was a lot quicker to use and I was finding things that others had passed by because they were trusting their eyes versus their ears. For someone on a budget and willing to invest the time listening and they don't mind knobs over buttons, the Vaquero is hard to beat. If you ever get one, I would recommend also a widescan coil for it.

Last edited:

Fishguy, for me it was very easy, but I also own a Tiger Shark, and in terms of how they respond and sound, they were pretty similar. One big difference between the Vaquero (and Tiger Shark) compared to the 705 is that the Vaq is silent search in discrimination. Sometimes the tiniest "tic" or cackle on it means a deep target. With the 705 you pretty much either get a signal or you don't.

the 705 is my go to machine. I used the Vaq for spring field, dig everything hunting, and as a great loaner detective for when friends wanted to try hunting with me. But the last few years, we have gone right from winter to summer and I just haven't used it enough to warrant taking up the closet space.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back