For GatorBoy and GTP

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Originally Posted by GatorBoy
It was explained to me once at a powwow that turtles were used as a representation of Mother Earth. the round shell body being Mother Earth the four limbs... the seasons and the head the "creator"

That makes absolute sense. I'm going to check that out......

You guys were talking above in the pottery buffalo thread, and it made me think of this. Not saying it's the answer you're looking for, but it's funny, some have said this looks like a fertility fetish(Mother), and some have thought a turtle. I've posted this before, probably the most unique piece I've been lucky enough to purchase. Found in 1936 on Narragansett Bay,RI.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
That is a very interesting piece. Do you know if thats local material?

I don't have an in depth knowledge of your area but something about that piece makes me think it's not Native American. For some reason it reminds me of African shapes I have seen. It reminds me of one sided small stone carvings I've seen recovered as artifacts on wrecked slave ships done by the human cargo while in the hold. I could be completely wrong since I've done no research as of yet...
Just speaking of the top of my head.

Couple more shots. It's made of sandstone from the Carboniferous Rhode Island Formation, so yes, the material is very common here and in fact ever present on our beaches as glacial cobbles and pebbles. The skilled Native American artisan in this instance simply modified a glacial pebble. But it must have been tough to do to such nice effect. The style is actually not at all unusual in native art, being part representational and part not so much. Hard to know what it really represents. It's being published in a future work by a friend and colleague dealing with native art.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 118
I don't think this effigy is a fertility representation. I see neither male or female reproductive organs. However, it does look more like man than turtle. Look at the head. It looks like this guy has a Mohawk, and is in meditation. Did warriors not have Mohawk hair styles, more so than other members of the tribe? If I'm correct on that, it could be symbolic of pre-battle worship or preyer. Love that little piece. Never get tired of it!

I am pretty sure I have seen many of these type of art works done where half is man and the other half is animal. I dont think that is your best cause the best is in your avatar pic. Maybe 2nd best.

I don't think this effigy is a fertility representation. I see neither male or female reproductive organs. However, it does look more like man than turtle. Look at the head. It looks like this guy has a Mohawk, and is in meditation. Did warriors not have Mohawk hair styles, more so than other members of the tribe? If I'm correct on that, it could be symbolic of pre-battle worship or preyer. Love that little piece. Never get tired of it!

It has been compared to Venus figurines from Ice Age Europe. Don't really need sex organs to be a fertility fetish, need a rotund belly! LOL! The turtle comparison stems from showing a recessed head emerging from a shell as seen in the profile views. I'm sure it was not intended to be 100% representational, so can really never say for sure I guess. Thanks for the kind words...

I see a frog. The first picture you posted is an ariel view, with two bulging eyes, nostrils and front legs. The back legs are less defined. Very cool piece!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back