Flying eagle!

Pumpkin

Greenie
Nov 12, 2023
Found under a floorboard in our house! Vacuumed it up in a half inch of dirt during renovations, but saw it shine and it was still in the vacuum hose. The house is 2-300 years old, and the south upstairs room was used by a cobbler sometime in the late 19th century. I’d never seen a flying eagle cent, and didn’t know we had a non-copper cent.

Attachments

• IMG_9947.jpeg
    IMG_9947.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_9946.jpeg
    IMG_9946.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
Upvote 60
Found under a floorboard in our house! Vacuumed it up in a half inch of dirt during renovations, but saw it shine and it was still in the vacuum hose. The house is 2-300 years old, and the south upstairs room was used by a cobbler sometime in the late 19th century. I’d never seen a flying eagle cent, and didn’t know we had a non-copper cent.
:icon_scratch: The flying eagle cent is 88% copper/12% nickel.

The only non-copper cent I'm aware of is the 1943 steel Lincoln cent.

Cool find!

:icon_scratch: The flying eagle cent is 88% copper/12% nickel.

The only non-copper cent I'm aware of is the 1943 steel Lincoln cent.
Ha, yes I figured someone would call me on the technicality. I meant copper colored. Point being: I first saw it bird side up, and not recognizing it I thought it was a dime, due to the silvery color.

Yes so I thought! Can I shine it up a little? What’s appropriate? Water and towel, or is that too much cleaning?
Don’t do anything to it. Zero! Any cleaning will lower its value. That coin needs sent in and graded and put in a slab. Go to a good coin shop and they can send it in for grading. Here’s one for sale on eBay in similar condition as yours.
IMG_6599.jpeg

Ha, yes I figured someone would call me on the technicality. I meant copper colored. Point being: I first saw it bird side up, and not recognizing it I thought it was a dime, due to the silvery color.
That may be due to your soil composition. Around here, copper (and copper alloy) coins usually come out of the ground very dark brown and/or with a green patina.

Can I shine it up a little? What’s appropriate? Water and towel, or is that too much cleaning?
I agree emphatically with ToddsPoint--don't try to clean it (yet).

There are ways, and there are coins it may be appropriate with, and coins it's definitely not appropriate with. IDK much about that yet, but there are folks here who do, and some time spent in the archives would be well worth it. JMO.

she's a beauty! well done

Hey and I just noticed, that’s not your average laurel or oak leaf wreath on the reverse, that’s a collection of specifically depicted agricultural crops. I see tobacco, melon and hemp leaves, wheat, corn, maybe sorghum at the end, and second to the end, pumpkins!! Or at least acorn squash. I’m a professional grower, and pumpkins are one of my two commercial crops, a lifelong love. How cool to find a coin made for only two years, bearing that design!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back