CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_2606.jpeg
    IMG_2606.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 11
Its raining bad here now. Would be a very bad idea for anyone to be driving in it especially if it were wind driven.
I got in it due to needing some parts wasnā€™t to bad. Most of our hard rain comes at night

Iā€™m looking forward to it as well. All of my creeks are out of the banks as we speak. Iā€™m hoping to find a few good ones next week
I think you said you were located in VA ? Iā€™d like to see what your creeks look like. Just make sure you donā€™t add any landmarks to the pictures. Good luck out there

flooding can bring an early Christmas for you.
good luck.
Thanks Iā€™m hoping that big gravel bar is covered in points like last year. I must of found 20 from all periods in many trips on that thing. Upstream is 2 bends back to back then a straight away about 200 feet and one more bend then the big gravel bar. Causes a big whirlpool effect and the points land on the bar. Iā€™m getting excited about it lol

Weā€™ve been wet here lately but itā€™s probably been approaching 3 years since the river even got up enough to go over the gravel barsā€¦ probably holding all it in the reservoir upstream. I donā€™t find a lot of points but I always look at the bones that wash In, Iā€™d love another Buffalo or to find a mammoth tooth, or and elk rack.

You w
Weā€™ve been wet here lately but itā€™s probably been approaching 3 years since the river even got up enough to go over the gravel barsā€¦ probably holding all it in the reservoir upstream. I donā€™t find a lot of points but I always look at the bones that wash In, Iā€™d love another Buffalo or to find a mammoth tooth, or and elk rack.
You would think there would be some points in that gravel if it produces fossils

You w

You would think there would be some points in that gravel if it produces fossils
It might, Iā€™ve only found 3 artifacts on gravel bars, I imagine I just donā€™t have the eye for creeks and rivers but I can pick one out of the dirt with the best of them.

It might, Iā€™ve only found 3 artifacts on gravel bars, I imagine I just donā€™t have the eye for creeks and rivers but I can pick one out of the dirt with the best of them.
Iā€™ve never dug so Iā€™m sure you would win that contest. In the creek I can see them before anyone else can. I took a guy last year and he was standing on a bar and said I havenā€™t seen anything. I said well are you done looking on this one? He said yes nothing is here. So I reached down by his foot and said hereā€™s a nice scraper. He said boy you are really tuned into that black stuff šŸ˜€

I think you said you were located in VA ? Iā€™d like to see what your creeks look like. Just make sure you donā€™t add any landmarks to the pictures. Good luck out there
Yes, western Virginia. It has taken me quite some time to figure out creek hunting. I have walked many hours and creeks without finding so much as a flake. I now have 3 different creeks that I can count on to produce, but still have a lot to learn. Confidence is everything. I lose concentration quickly if I am not confident in a spot. Now that I have a little experience, I can usually tell by the size and type of rocks in a creek as well as its location, if it is going to be good for artifacts. Iā€™ll take some pictures of some the creeks that produce for me next time Iā€™m out.

Yes, western Virginia. It has taken me quite some time to figure out creek hunting. I have walked many hours and creeks without finding so much as a flake. I now have 3 different creeks that I can count on to produce, but still have a lot to learn. Confidence is everything. I lose concentration quickly if I am not confident in a spot. Now that I have a little experience, I can usually tell by the size and type of rocks in a creek as well as its location, if it is going to be good for artifacts. Iā€™ll take some pictures of some the creeks that produce for me next time Iā€™m out.
Sounds good. I have found out the creeks with schist and other similar stones you can find Hard Stone like Celts. If you choose to walk a creek like what Iā€™m describing just look for shape also quartz points should be in the same creek. Creeks with much finer cobbles can have chert and quartz points in them. Iā€™ve found 2 nice Celts so far and pieces of them. Looking forward to those pics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back