✅ SOLVED Flintlock weapon hammer?

BRHADS

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2009
N.E. Raleigh, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher f70, Fisher 1265X, Whites surf P.I. Pro
I am pretty sure I have dug the hammer to a flintlock weapon, based upon the round screw set on top.
I have never seen a flintlock hammer with a solid front face, I thought the flint was normally pinched beneath the screw set and stuck out front.
Anyway, not sure about what type of weapon this may have come from and wondering if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks for looking!

Great hunting to you all!
100_2818.JPG100_2819.JPG100_2820.JPG

Agree - toy. The sideplate would have had to completely disintegrate for you to have the hammer and sear intact. The top jaw screw is absent between the jaws - so they should not be remaining together. It looks like the jaws end in a flat to pop a paper cap.

And the most damning evidence is there is a cast seam right down the center of the screw, jaws and cock shown in the frontal shot. In a real cock these would all be seperate pieces.

Upvote 0
Wow it looked good for a second or two....

Upvote 0
At first glance I thought conversion from flint to cap, I've read that there were some done that way using a drum and nipple to hold the cap, but I've never seen one. then second glance and seeing the casting seam, well, all I can say is, good find, but disappointing.

Upvote 0
Maybe off an old toy cap gun? Cool find anyways!

Upvote 0
Even though it may not be authentic, It is still a neat find :) It would fool your average person who couldn't spot discrepancies. Welcome to Tnet BRHADS and awesome find! Do not get discouraged, I have been let down before with finds before as well but it is part of metal detecting ;) . Now get out there and find some more goodies!:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back