Flash Frozen Sub Zero Ho Ho Ho Hunt.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Not many finds or pictures today. My fingers were nearly flash frozen within minutes of exiting the CV. I wanted to hit the field I ended on yesterday but @ 13 degrees and with gusting winds I ran into the woods behind a nice dirt berm to block the wind. The bad part is this area is the old city dump and is heavily concentrated with every metal known to man kind scattered everywhere. I toughed it out for close to two hours I reckon. Not very many targets dug but, one that surprised me once back at the Command Center and thawing out.

I got a good signal around 85 VDI and solid under a long branch that needed booted out of the way. I dug a nice deep plug with my Predator D95 and pinpointed a large aluminum disk. No time to investigate what it was for my fingers freezing off I threw it in the pouch. Once home I clean my meager finds, even the pull tabs, and notice some writing on the large aluminum disk?:icon_scratch: Grab my Optivisor 10X magnifier and see an old 1917 Illinois Registered Motor Vehicle Motor Bicycle tag that has been pretty abused. LOL! I just thought it was a piece of garbage when I tossed it in the pouch.

So I went out and risked frost bite to recover some pull tabs, aluminum scraps, and my one tiny brass thingy. Was it worth it? I reckon it depends on who you ask. Pretty cool 100 year old mangled up piece of aluminum is making my tingling fingers feel better already. I will be a bit more careful NOT to go out in these extreme conditions though. Unless I can find some electric gloves or something to keep my hands warm. The rest of me was fine. Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and I hope ya'll had a wonderful and blessed Christmas Day. Kurios1

X-mas Day Illinois Motor Bicycle Tag 1917 002.JPGX-mas Day Illinois Motor Bicycle Tag 1917 003.JPGX-mas Day Illinois Motor Bicycle Tag 1917 005.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 10
Cool find not quite as cold here in western Tennessee where I am visiting, I went out into. The neighbors field dug junk and a stinking Lincoln! But I did get some swing time so it was a success in my book!

Good job getting out I'm another dirt Donkey out there in a blizzard treasure hunting I don't do nothing half way lol Glad you got out my friend I wanted to also but I would have to shovel an area first...

Kudos for the dedication. Somebody’s got to do it. I went out too for a little while also. You did far better than I. That’s not saying much though. Way to go with getting something.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Wow, out in that cold, that’s dedication. Very cool find. Congrats and HH

Congratualtions on the 1917 RMV bike tag! :occasion14: Was it worth it? Of course, but we are all bias on this forum! :icon_thumleft:

Wow, out in that cold, that’s dedication. Very cool find. Congrats and HH

I won't be going out in the teens anytime soon without a solution to my fingers freezing off. Pricing battery powered heated gloves and those things aren't cheap. Not even sure how well they work either. I suppose I could build a fire to keep warm but, the local authorities may get a bit concerned with the weird guy tearing up the woods in JANUARY! LOL!:laughing9:

Anything old with a date is a cool find, even if it is frozen solid. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back