frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was planning on purchasing a Fisher F2 in a couple of weeks from MillerMDZ with the 4 and 8 inch coils. I was also throwing around the idea of getting the 11" DD coil too.
How much of an improvement is having the DD coil as opposed to the 4 and 8 inch coils? Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks

The larger coil will allow you to cover more ground per sweep but also slow you down with many targets under the coil at one time. Your best option is the use of the small coil in trashy areas.

Yeah I have a couple of spots that I would definitely use the small coil in. I was thinking that the DD coil could get me a little farther down in the ground than the other.

Hey Frogg. I ordered a 11"DD coil for my F2. It will be here Tuesday. I have to wait for the snow to melt before trying it. just got 2 " today. PM me and I'll let you know how the DD works. Look for Digger27 on friendly metal detector forum. He wrote the book on the F2..HH

You WON'T be dissapointed with the 11' DD!! Good luck and HH

Yeah, fishstick, I hear that it takes a little getting used to but definitely worth the money!

Sorry Sandman but you are not totally correct in your assessment -- the 11" DD fisher coils hunt trash areas like nothing else. They are capable of target separation down to 1/2" and they will actually read through trash if a solid coin hit is below. I never use my sniper coil anymore. The problem most have with the DD coils, that is those having trouble reading them, is that most are used to the round coils. The DD coil has a reading area from tip to toe 1" down the center. Coins within the first 2-3" of soil (grass + soil) will read within the front 2-3" of the coil tip or toe. As the depth of the target goes deeper the dig point from the coil, target spot, will be move back toward the center, toward the heel of the coil. So, a coin at 6" will sound out like the 3", but check the depth reading, on the F2 one bar is basically 2-3" the next bar is 3"-5" and the last bar is beyond that (the one thing I don't like about the F2, the depth meter reader is iffy) Anyway, the sound will be the same but you have to dig more to the center of the coil if the depth reading is 2 bars or more, while closer targets will be along that 1" target line within 3" of the tip. The perimeter of the coil is not nearly as sensitive as the round or concentric coils. I don't even bother to take my 4" sniper coil along.

Sorry Sandman but you are not totally correct in your assessment -- the 11" DD fisher coils hunt trash areas like nothing else. They are capable of target separation down to 1/2" and they will actually read through trash if a solid coin hit is below. I never use my sniper coil anymore. The problem most have with the DD coils, that is those having trouble reading them, is that most are used to the round coils. The DD coil has a reading area from tip to toe 1" down the center. Coins within the first 2-3" of soil (grass + soil) will read within the front 2-3" of the coil tip or toe. As the depth of the target goes deeper the dig point from the coil, target spot, will be move back toward the center, toward the heel of the coil. So, a coin at 6" will sound out like the 3", but check the depth reading, on the F2 one bar is basically 2-3" the next bar is 3"-5" and the last bar is beyond that (the one thing I don't like about the F2, the depth meter reader is iffy) Anyway, the sound will be the same but you have to dig more to the center of the coil if the depth reading is 2 bars or more, while closer targets will be along that 1" target line within 3" of the tip. The perimeter of the coil is not nearly as sensitive as the round or concentric coils. I don't even bother to take my 4" sniper coil along.

You are totally correct in your assessment. With experience with many detectors it is harder to keep them separated and I replied to hastily.

Double-D.jpgThe longer the Mohawk in the middle of the 11" DD coil makes it possibly to pick up multi-targets, so the smaller sub 5" DD coil will separate better and have better sensitivity...and not much loss of depth.
Gary

Last edited:
The 4.5 sniper is hard to beat. I've got it on my F75 and its not coming off mainly because I like the old parks, schools and fair grounds. Its ok to for relic hunting but the 11"for open range and woods is a better choice. Good luck to ya.

Well I got mine like 2 months ago. To tell you the truth it's amazing and a superb coil! Awesome target separation, with great depth! I'd have to say that it works great in trashy areas but I still use more the 4" sniper coil in trashy sites. But heck, get it and you won't be disappointed. Trust me, I have used mine for a while and I love it!!

I have to way in on this,,,,I have been using the F-2 with a NEL Sharpshooter coil 9.5 x 5 inches for the last couple months and it is amazing how well you can separate things in real high trashy area's. I have the little 4" coil too and it just don't compare to what the DD has been capable of.

The 11" inch coil is very sensitive. But the small coil is more sensitive to small gold and silver jewelry. I find what the others leave. Depends on your hunt, in confined spaces with large metal I use the small coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back