First Time Metal Dectecting

goatscapeable

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For over a year my father-in-law has been trying to get me to go metal detecting with him. He is a big Civil War buff and has dug hundreds of relics. I gave in finally and went with him to hunt on a family friend's property that is just down the street from my house. I really didn't have much faith in the metal detector, but after just five minutes I found a 1982 quarter. Nothing to call a museum about, but it gave me confidence in the detector. Five minutes later I was digging again, and this time dug a 1876 Seated Liberty Dime. Now I was hooked. We spent only an hour total on this trip, but came away with my original non-silver quarter, the 1876 dime, a 1952 silver quarter, and three objects that we have not identified yet. These discoveries led me to this forum, and I look forward to sharing many more as I continue in this hobby. Here is a picture of the second coin I dug:

EDIT: I apologize for the misspelled title.

Last edited:
Upvote 7
outstanding.gif

Welcome goatscape. It's a great site. I promise you'll learn so much here. Learn the rules of the hobby and do some research. You'll find yourself an addict before you know it. Happy Hunting

That is a spectacular first time out find.... damn....

Wowza Goat!! great find! I have found a few Rosie's, a couple Mercs and about 14 billion clad dimes...but definitely no seateds! Congrats and GOOD LUCK...Thanks for sharing..ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back