First silver ring !!!!!

W

wodd

Went out today to a old school house and thought we were going to dig up all kinds of stuff. Well we did but no coins, no jewerly only trash. Very disappointed in this mornings diggings so I called my brother to met me at my moms house. I have found several different coins there before, but no silver or wheaties but some coins right now would be great. Got there just before dark and he found several coins with his garrett 250 but I didn't find anything with my prizm ll but trash. Then just before dark I got a nice repeatable beep but it showed as a nickle and a pulltab and dug it up and I found my first silver ring. Man I really enjoyed that, because when you dig and dig without anything then you hit something like that , well it picks you up a bit.
Also can anyone tell me how you can tell whether its real or fake, I don't believe there's anything wrote on it..

WODD.......

Upvote 0
a lion or leopard stamped into ring or .925 means sterling silver. Nothing written usually means silver plated. Plated usually shows tiny flecks gone and different color where flecks have come off the ring. congrats and HH!

? ? Congrats on your first ring WODD!!!
? ? ?A silver ring will usually show up as a dime or higher but not nickel. Nickel/pull tab is where gold jewelry shows up. Pretty much all fine jewelry will be marked. A common mark for Sterling silver is .925. Meaning the silver content of that piece of jewelry is at least 92.5% silver. Or it might say ster. Or st. Gold will be marked 10k, 14k, 18k. Most gold jewelry is not made of anything purer than 18k. Particularly rings.Then there are marks such as 14k ep. For electroplate.
? ? Clean it up and look it over with a magnfying glass. Because there is just no way for me to tell for certain. A couple of weeks ago I found a sterling earring that was marked twice. Once on the main part and once on the skinny little piece that slides through the ear. Kind of looked like a scratch without the magnifyer.
? ? But no matter what the ring is made of the good news is you found a piece of jewelry and that means your getting to understand your detector. You'll be finding more. Count on it.

Wodd, I would agree with Spotz. I can't imagine a silver ring showing up as nickel or pulltab. Just a guess here...an alloy or possibly white gold.

Congratulations on the ring find. Just goes to show you can't pass up some of those junk readings or you will pass up some good ring targets. Post a photo when you get a chance. Good luck! Jim Cal

Thanks everyone,
It's been a couple of days since I found the ring and I am still pumped up and ready to get back out there. As far as the I.D. showing a nickel or pulltab, I could be mistaken on that. Could I do a [what do you guys call it] air test and see what it reads or does it have to be in the ground to get a accurate reading.
Also what is the best way to clean jewelry, or in my case a silver ring. And after looking at it again I did notice some slight pitting on the edge of the ring. Oh well still pretty cool for my first ring......
THANKS FOR RESPONDING........WODD....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back