First PLATE of 2009, Enfield Trigger Guard AND a 211 year-old COIN!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been a while since I've posted a find here--but I have been digging lots. I figure I've got a lot to catch y'all up on. The last two weeks after the thaw have been pretty incredible. But I'll save that for a later post. What I found today I just have to share...

Went out with Hill Billy today to re-hunt an old spot that's been good to us in the past (the same site where our Kentucky State Seal button cache came to light). As you know, it has to be a new ball game to re-hunt an old site. You have to go into areas that you'd consciously or subconsciously overlooked before. You have to work out away from the obvious areas and hope that there will be something there to reward you...

Well to start off with, I left my camera at home today. :-\ So this post will not be full of the usual BuckleBoy photography of great finds as they come out of the ground.

It appears that I have Finally found a Draped Bust Large Cent--which is a VERY early find for my area. I don't think I will clean it any more, since the patina looks like it will not withstand water or peroxide cleaning.

Also in the photo below you will see the first belt plate of this year. It is a sword belt plate, and it looks like it will be a beauty. The attachment is still present on the back, and the plow didn't get her. :thumbsup:

On emptying my pockets at the house, the piece that I first thought was a drawer pull, I now believe to be a trigger guard--so there will be a bit of research involved tonight in trying to figure out which weapon it came from. :o

First off, here are some of HB's great finds:

Buttons 001.jpg

Buttons 006.jpg

Buttons 005.jpg

1844.JPG

And here are mine:

uncleaned.jpg

I believe the date is 1798, which would make it my oldest American coin and would finally break what I've termed the "Spanish Silver Curse" (finding Reales as my only 1700's coins). I can see the second digit pretty clearly--and the last one only the top loop of it...so it is more likely 1798 than 1799.

draped.jpg

Most Certainly a trigger guard. I'm thinking it's off an Enfield...

without piece.jpg

Here's the a photo of the trigger guard with a broken piece off an Enfield trigger guard I recovered at a Civil War site in Virginia years ago. :)

with piece.jpg

Part #14 in the diagram below:

enfield parts chart-1.jpg

plate front.jpg

plate back.jpg

And here is the Sword Belt Plate cleaned up. It does not have the silver applied wreath, hence it is likely an officer's plate. :thumbsup: I did a lot of toothpicking on it to remove the nasty green nodules caused by fertilizer damage (and there's still a ways to go with it), but here she is for now:

plate cleaned.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Wow...I missed this one! Great hunt and great relics. I'm looking forward to your future posts. We are still frozen in up here in the great white north...although it is warmer today (48F) but there is still too much snow on the ground. I figure three more weeks before I even think about loading the batteries into the F75.

I thought about a road trip during the winter...point the car south and just drive until I could detect...still may!

romeo-1 said:
Wow...I missed this one! Great hunt and great relics. I'm looking forward to your future posts. We are still frozen in up here in the great white north...although it is warmer today (48F) but there is still too much snow on the ground. I figure three more weeks before I even think about loading the batteries into the F75.

I thought about a road trip during the winter...point the car south and just drive until I could detect...still may!

Sounds like a good plan! I look forward to seeing your posts this year as well. I wish my area was a little older...but it seems that I do o.k. :)

Best Wishes to you--and I hope your thaw happens earlier than expected.

-Buckles

civilman1 said:
Buckle's...... :wink: What more can you say!!!!!

I think my Tnet name is helping me out. :)

Thanks for coming back and posting some awesome finds BB!! You are definitely living up to your t-net name. I figure now you're about due for a breastplate...man i might have to pay a visit to Kentucky :thumbsup:
Jerry

Those are some sweet finds Buckles :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That plate is superb.

Ohio Jerry said:
Thanks for coming back and posting some awesome finds BB!! You are definitely living up to your t-net name. I figure now you're about due for a breastplate...man i might have to pay a visit to Kentucky :thumbsup:
Jerry

You, my friend, are welcome any time. :)

Merf said:
Those are some sweet finds Buckles :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That plate is superb.

Good to see you back on, Merf. Is your season starting this spring? If so, I look forward to your posts.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Supposed to warm up this week Buckles.
Looking forward to some serious dirt fishing.
Regards, Merf

Soak that buckle in olive oil for about 30 days and that green will be easier to remove without damaging the surface.

steve from ohio said:
Soak that buckle in olive oil for about 30 days and that green will be easier to remove without damaging the surface.

got a before and after photo so that I could see what I'm getting into?

Merf said:
Supposed to warm up this week Buckles.
Looking forward to some serious dirt fishing.
Regards, Merf

Good to hear it, my friend. I look forward to your excellent photography and excellent finds.

Regards,

Buckles

You should have a permanent spot on the Banner Log. That way you could just post it direct! Wonderful stuff as usual. Monty

I don't know how I missed this post Buck so here is a little belated but genuine congratulations from a fellow detector enthusiast. Everything found was top notch. :thumbsup:
Chris

A Draped Bust large cent is a hard one to come by in Kentucky! That coin alone shows that you guys are hunting the earliest of sites that your area has to offer. Sweet find, Buck!

Kyle

Another stellar day of detecting Buckles!!! You guy's amaze me, with your wonderful finds!!! Congrats on the Draped Bust and the Beautiful Sword Belt Plate!!! :thumbsup:

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back