First one in 28 years!

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Of course, I have not been looking for 20 years. I got it in a 1950s school yard. Ordinarily, I would not hunt there, but a 67 year old neighbor told me about a big tree on the edge of the schoolyard that he and the other kids used to play under. I told him I might get lucky and get a merc over there, so I hunted it. I got a solid 95-96 on the Deus II and it was not a surface coin, so I dug it. I was expecting an aluminum can since it was hitting higher than silver dimes (92) or quarters (94). I was almost shocked when out came a 1941-D walking liberty half. The last one I found was in 1995.

Day before yesterday, I got a 1941 merc in an old house yard. It is phenomenal to still have silver rolling in this late in the year in Michigan! 1941Walker.jpg1941Merc.jpg

Upvote 58
Of course, I have not been looking for 20 years. I got it in a 1950s school yard. Ordinarily, I would not hunt there, but a 67 year old neighbor told me about a big tree on the edge of the schoolyard that he and the other kids used to play under. I told him I might get lucky and get a merc over there, so I hunted it. I got a solid 95-96 on the Deus II and it was not a surface coin, so I dug it. I was expecting an aluminum can since it was hitting higher than silver dimes (92) or quarters (94). I was almost shocked when out came a 1941-D walking liberty half. The last one I found was in 1995.

Day before yesterday, I got a 1941 merc in an old house yard. It is phenomenal to still have silver rolling in this late in the year in Michigan!View attachment 2119969View attachment 2119970
ive have found1 1942 half in 45 years, great finds

Day before yesterday, I got a 1941 merc in an old house yard. It is phenomenal to still have silver rolling in this late in the year in Michigan!View attachment 2119969View attachment 2119970
Great find! It has been a while since my last half dollar. Way to go!

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Congrats

GREAT FIND !!!! IR :) Thanks for sharing

Beautiful finds and I certaianly agree that the Walking half is one of the best US coin designs- Congrats!

Great finds, sure would like a Walking Liberty, I am in Wisconsin and understand the end of season is near. Keep digging until the deep freeze. Happy hunting.

our coins used to be really beautiful when they had images of Lady Liberty on them instead of politicians.

That’s so nice! And what are the odds of finding two 1941 coins?
Keep up the good work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back