First Large Cent Of 2020

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning everyone, the Equinox was good to me yesterday. We had a lengthy hunt with no results and decided to take one last pass through an iron infested part of the site.

I got a jumpy high tone, but it sounded good! I switched over to all metal mode, and there was no denying that there was a coin in the iron!

I can never get them to photograph well, but here’s the 1833 large cent that I pulled out of an iron mess.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583156837.497240.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583156853.091697.jpg

First one of the year!

Upvote 17
Nice find the first of the year hope theres many more. Im still looking for my first my bucket isnt happy. Well done

Nice LC fellow Mass hunter!

Very nice to find a Largie this early in the year in Mass! Congrats on it!!!

Well done, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Nice coin! Question, when you say "there was no denying there was a coin in the iron", how can you tell? I use the Nox800 and get a ton of false signals. When I go to all metal if tells me there is metal below with all the negative bump sounds. But, it sometimes still gives the high tone. I will dig one out of every 10 false tones and end up with a huge square nails every time. It got to the point where I just increased the iron bias to get rid of the false tones. But I feel I may be missing some coins. Very frustrating. Dont mean to hijack the thread, but wanted to ask the question.

Nice largie Mike. Found a 1807 today, but not in good shape like that. Hope to get out again with you soon!

Nice coin! Question, when you say "there was no denying there was a coin in the iron", how can you tell? I use the Nox800 and get a ton of false signals. When I go to all metal if tells me there is metal below with all the negative bump sounds. But, it sometimes still gives the high tone. I will dig one out of every 10 false tones and end up with a huge square nails every time. It got to the point where I just increased the iron bias to get rid of the false tones. But I feel I may be missing some coins. Very frustrating. Dont mean to hijack the thread, but wanted to ask the question.

The target ID bounced between 29 - 31, most likely because of all of the surrounding iron and or the orientation of the coin. The target had a "dense" sound to it... In other words, it sounded like it had some mass, and some roundness, so I knew that it wasn't aluminum or a nail.

Thanks Secondstar. Congrats on the first LC of the year and the good info I can take to the fields.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back