First Indian Head Penny! (Very late though)

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WELL I was out detecting with my cousin whom I always go detecting with, and we were trying some recently done fields in a really old area (Mid 1600's). He had been at this field the day before and pulled out a Vermont Copper (1786 Baby head), another large copper, two spanish silver, and various relics, in a relatively small area. So we start off where he ended, really gridding the place out. I am on my second pass, after having dug up a piece of aluminum and a bottle cap. I get a signal about halfway through, a strong 55-65 on his White's Spectrum, and it pinpointed at about 2.5". Excpecting aluminum or something of the sort, I stick my pinpointer in and prod until I locate the object. I use the pinpointer to move some dirt, and see a small dirt-covered circle. I take it from the dirt, sure it is a penny, but not sure as to what kind of penny. I ever so gently brush a little dirt off, and I see the headdress. So now I am really excited, seeing as this is my FIRST Indian Head Penny! I call out to my cousin, and he shares in the excitement. I brush a little more dirt off until I can read the date. "It's an 1864 :headbang: !" I yell to Bob! Then he has me come over and show it to him, and we rejoice for a spell, but don't waste too much time, for we had more detecting to do. I have it soaking in Olive oil right now, but I took it out for pictures. It has been sitting in the oil for a few days, and looks much better now. I think I'll leave it in for a couple weeks, then put it in my coin display case. I am still so excited! It only took 18 months, but I did it! Anyways, Happy hunting and good luck! :icon_thumright:

Relichunter97

(*PS* I know alot of people say this, but these photos don't do this coin justice. Thanks for looking!)

Attachments

• 025a.jpg
    025a.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 023a.jpg
    023a.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 348
  • 024a.jpg
    024a.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 026a.jpg
    026a.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 343
Upvote 0
Great find, love them indians!

Way to go! I remember my first Indian too what a thrill!

"Only took you 18 months?!" I know people that have been locating for that many years and haven't found one! Congrats on the find.

Congrats, it took me almost 31 years to find my first and only one, and it was in such bad shape that it didn't have a date.

Oh wow, I had no idea, I said "Only 18 months" cause my cousin who I hunt with seems to fine at least ten a month, and I was always left with none. And as far as the L goes, you can somewhat see it in the photo, but you really can't in real life.

Congratulations on finding your first Indian Head penny! Like you, I felt that it was never going to happen. I remember it being so exciting when I realized I had discovered my first one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back