first I thought but?????? this time with pic (sorry)

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
first I thought but?????? this time with pic (sorry)

thought it could be stove parts but im not that sure then i thought automotive because of the hex end that looks like a lug opening but it seems like it's low grade metal has kelley stamped on the crank type handle with guess a part number 192K

anyone older then dirt out there know??? LOL!!!

sorry for no pic before yea it would help must be getting senile

Attachments

• ND620007.JPG
    ND620007.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 455
  • ND620006.jpg
    ND620006.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 450
Re: first I thought but??????

I'm much older than dirt, but without a picture I can't even make a guess. And my ESP isn't picking up any vibes, either. PHOTOS PLEASE.

Upvote 0
Re: first I thought but?????? this time with pic (sorry)

Pure guess - a starter crank for a really old auto? The longer item is, I think, a 'handle' for removing a circular 'plate' from an old cast iron stove - the spiral thingy dissipates the heat. For future photos, it would help putting a coin in the pic for scale.

Upvote 0

swingman said:
Pure guess - a starter crank for a really old auto? The longer item is, I think, a 'handle' for removing a circular 'plate' from an old cast iron stove - the spiral thingy dissipates the heat. For future photos, it would help putting a coin in the pic for scale.

I think the lid lifters for old stoves were shorter and had a little + kinda thing on the business end for securely lifting the cover. Maybe it's a fireplace tool?

That crank sure looks familiar. At first I thought it was used to raise and lower scissor jacks for travel trailers, but the handle looks too short for that.

Upvote 0

The crank appears to be for a wood burning stove door.

Tony

Upvote 0

First item looks like a hand crank for an old ice cream freezer. Second one looks like the end of a "snake" to clean out drains, except I would think it would be more flexible for drain traps....but who knows bout older drains? Monty
Oh, oh, just another revelation. Second one is a lifter/poker for a potbellied or cooking stove. The end with the wire wrap was made so it wouldn't get hot. Monty again

Upvote 0

Monty said:
Oh, oh, just another revelation. Second one is a lifter/poker for a potbellied or cooking stove. The end with the wire wrap was made so it wouldn't get hot. Monty again

Gosh Monty, where did I just read that? Oh that's right...in swingman's post...you plagiarizer you. LOL

Upvote 0

2nd item a stove poker to move burning wood in a wood stove.

Upvote 0

Post where you found this item...that may narrow the possibilities.

If it came from a farm...think tractor, corn shucker, seeder and so on.

There are a number of things that it could have been used for...several have been discussed.

Upvote 0

The stove poker is right for the one item and the crank is also for an old wood burning cookstove. Some, Majestic for one were built for both wood and coal burning. In the bottom of the fire box there were intermeshing grates where the ashes dropped through but unburned coals and coal "clinkers" didn't. So you fit the crank on a peg on the front of the stove and rotated the grates to free them to drop into the ash receptical. Too much information?

Upvote 0

Coal stove cranks on Ebay

2fcb_1_b.JPG

Upvote 0

so my origional guess was correct an used for a the old stove the house dates to the mid 1840s and the attached frame is earlier although it looks newer was originally 1 floor and possibilty according to the brick structure dates pre 1820
there was a old cast iron gas stove there dating late 1890s the whole area dates 1600s used as farm land and was not fairly populated til the late 1700s
the whole area is slated to be demolished for a DOT hwy project its an out of a way place in the city here
there are 4 other homes also dating 1840s on with a slave hideout
haven't as yet explored the hideout as most of these abandoned home have become havens for druggies and gangs we do go armed and wear our vests, but we fully intend to do so in the spring before they are gone so far most other finds can be seen on my site http://www.manlytoolman.com in the MD section to date we have found some silver coins a cw artillery button old beer bottles late 1800s some china a number of iron tools and other stuff.
picture is attached of the oldest section the 2 owner and still family member worked for the RR that is nearby and was used for an artillery canon depot in the CW

Attachments

• covert st east view.jpg
    covert st east view.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0

lumbercamp said:
2nd item a stove poker to move burning wood in a wood stove.
Yeah thats true, we had one like that in sweden to!

Upvote 0

Wow, I like the old timey architecture. Where's Bob Villa when you need him? And treasure tales, that's what I get for not reading all the posts. For some reason there may be only two posts on a site and when I finally get mine in and look back there are forty! Am I that slow or just that old? Time goes by so fast these days. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back