First hunt of 2013 nets a beautiful 1692 Irish Half Penny!!!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out on a beautiful winters day in SE Virginia and found some nice relics. Got into a very early 1800's house site and found more 20th centry stuff than 19th centry, but then came along a solid 80 signal on my T2SE with the 5" coil. Out pops a beautiful 1692 Irish Half Penny :headbang: Very nice way to start off 2013. The standing liberty was on the surface as is. What a fine day indeed. Thanks for looking and head over to youtube to see the live digs under wesnvirginia. Thanks and HH! The standing liberty is 1927 and the barber dime is 1912. christamas 2012 012.JPGchristamas 2012 015.JPGchristamas 2012 016.JPGchristamas 2012 019.JPGchristamas 2012 028.JPGchristamas 2012 029.JPGchristamas 2012 034.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Attachments

• image-1560360851.jpg
    image-1560360851.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2655534721.jpg
    image-2655534721.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2558550618.jpg
    image-2558550618.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 161
Here's my Irish half peny only one N in penny in those days.. It's micwilson of Dublin a butchers crest 1672 pics ain't great tho :) nice finds by the way :)

That is not really the same, as his is Regal & that is a locally produced Token. Still one I need though.

Yes.... I hear ya... :) still worth the same to the guy that lost them ;)

1600's copper, thats sweet!!!!!! Congrats on finding that coin.

Yes.... I hear ya... :) still worth the same to the guy that lost them ;)

Not always, he could only spend it in said shop & the keeper would ask for more than one & over inflate the price:thumbsup: (therefore, sometimes 1 was worth nothing)

CRUSADER said:
Not always, he could only spend it in said shop & the keeper would ask for more than one & over inflate the price:thumbsup: (therefore, sometimes 1 was worth nothing)

Can't argue with that :)

Nice coin nice hunt

:icon_thumright: Wes, that's a beautiful Half Penny,I'd love to see it cleaned up! Utilitarian objects like the buckles and buttons are some of my favorites, and oh yeah the marbles too. Looks like that field is literally "ripe for the pickin' "Also, nice video. Love the "Epic background Music", though you may want to check the volume it is a little hard to here your commentary. Nice Hunt! :icon_thumleft:

Nice finds to start your year. What were your settings?

What were the settings you used? Nice finds by the way.

Rebel, that is what I am talking about! I almost fainted when I saw it. My uncle found one about 10 years ago but it was toasted like most copper coins around here. This one made my day for sure! Thanks again and thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments

Now that's my kind of hunt. The detail on that is INCREDIBLE!

Teknetics T2SE: Sensitivty--96 / +2 Tones / Dicrim set at 15/ Ground Balance at 58 / 5" coil due to trash. I dug all clean repeatable signals. Trash to Good Stuff ratio was 10-1 but patience and going slow paid off. Thanks!

Nice finds to start your year. What were your settings?

Thank you to everyone who posted and made comments. It was a very nice surprise for sure.

Crusader,

I am so scared to clean it! It seems the dirt is making it pop with more detail and I am afraid to clean it in fear of damaging it or losing detail. Any suggestions other than a professional cleaning it. Thanks again!
Wes

Dad & I have yet to get one, so they are a pretty rare find over here as well. Although Irish coins to a lesser extent are similar to Spanish coins, ie. more end up in the US Colonies than mainland Britain.

There are a couple of errors for this year, so it will be good to see it clean?

CONGRATS!!!

Crusader,

I am so scared to clean it! It seems the dirt is making it pop with more detail and I am afraid to clean it in fear of damaging it or losing detail. Any suggestions other than a professional cleaning it. Thanks again!
Wes

I won't be too scared, but I understand what you mean & its your coin, so I don't want to encourage something that may upset the find. The difference between the error prices & standard one is not that great, well not over here away, not sure about the US price.

I think a Q tip & proxide would be a good start, but check with Don to see how to do it, he has plenty of experience & could give you more confidence.

The coin needs no cleaning as the Patina is spot on, a damp cotton bud is all it needs, just to remove the last bits of dirt. But you do need to stop the coin from drying out, it's the damp soil conditions that keeps the patina.

SS

Last edited:
That is a stunning coin and in great shape. I think I smell a banner find...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back