First hunt of 2013 nets a beautiful 1692 Irish Half Penny!!!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out on a beautiful winters day in SE Virginia and found some nice relics. Got into a very early 1800's house site and found more 20th centry stuff than 19th centry, but then came along a solid 80 signal on my T2SE with the 5" coil. Out pops a beautiful 1692 Irish Half Penny :headbang: Very nice way to start off 2013. The standing liberty was on the surface as is. What a fine day indeed. Thanks for looking and head over to youtube to see the live digs under wesnvirginia. Thanks and HH! The standing liberty is 1927 and the barber dime is 1912. christamas 2012 012.JPGchristamas 2012 015.JPGchristamas 2012 016.JPGchristamas 2012 019.JPGchristamas 2012 028.JPGchristamas 2012 029.JPGchristamas 2012 034.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15
That is indeed an awesome half penny!

Nice!
Bunker

Thats a good looking half penny, and some other cool finds
to go with it.......................HH

GREAT hunt there WES!!!! Any hunt that yields a 1600's coin is WICKED.. Let alone in that nice of shape. Looks like 2013 gonna treat you well bud. CONGRATS.. HH

My inlaws live in west Virginia and they own a farm down there.. I can't wait to get down there and see what I can find.. Those are some cool finds.. Hope I get that lucky and find some neat stuff like that..

That is a very nice W&M Irish copper! So rare to see such detail and good condition. That one is on my want list, my friend has found 3 of them, so they are out there!

Last edited:
Now that's my kind of hunt. The detail on that is INCREDIBLE!

That's a great hunt, love the patina on the penny, of course the walking and barber are fantastic

Wow. Cool find. My earliest coin is a 1956 nickel after day two. Back to the beach after high tide.

yes sir , a hard to find copper with great eye appeal , well done :icon_thumright:

Man you're in a sweet place there no doubt. Half penny very nice,yes sir,very nice.

That is a very nice W&M Irish copper! So rare to see such detail and good condition. That one is on my want list, my friend has found 3 of them, so they are out there!

Don

Dad & I have yet to get one, so they are a pretty rare find over here as well. Although Irish coins to a lesser extent are similar to Spanish coins, ie. more end up in the US Colonies than mainland Britain.

There are a couple of errors for this year, so it will be good to see it clean?

CONGRATS!!!

I'v had one W&M Halpenny, and no were nere as good as that cracker :o it's got a great patina as well, you would be hard pushed to get one here anywere near as good as that.....great find :thumbsup:

SS

GREAT hunt there WES!!!! Any hunt that yields a 1600's coin is WICKED.. Let alone in that nice of shape. Looks like 2013 gonna treat you well bud. CONGRATS.. HH

Well said Fishstick. Any 1600's coin is wicked. Congrats Wes, on such a beautiful recovery.

What a find! Congrats.
Please excuse my singing but were it my find a song from my youth would have been sung repeatedly.
The frost is on the pumpkin and the geese are getting fat, won,t you please put a penny in the ol mans hat.
If you haven,t got a penny then a ha penny will do,if you haven,t got a ha penny then God bless you.
God bless you gentlemen, God bless you. If you haven,t got got a ha penny then God bless you!

Very fine looking copper! That is the first William & Mary Hibernia I have ever seen posted to the best of my memory.

Out pops a beautiful 1692 Irish Half Penny :headbang: Very nice way to start off 2013.

Wow! When you push back in time, you REALLY push! :) Not 1800's, not 1700's, you go all the way back to 1600's!!!!

A really nice save!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back