FIRST GOLD FOR 2013

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted today for about 3 hours, 2 alone and 1 with my wife. Combined we pulled $5.76 in Clad, a Saint Christopher and a 6.06 gram 14k GOLD pendent. My first gold of the year and my first gold with my new MXT Pro. :hello2:

The Pendant looks like a crushed nugget with Chinese or Japanese writing. The Makers mark appear as the initials DS with a Trident between them. I haven't figured out who that is yet.

14k_Back.JPG
14kCh_Pend_Scale.JPG
St_Christopher.JPG

I still haven't figured out whether this is real silver or not. Anyone have an opinion?

Mystery_Lump.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8
Great finds! That nugget pendant is AWESOME!

nice find! I think I'd be more excited about the cob in the setting

That is not Chinese friend - think Spain - and if genuine not- 14K either - you really need to have that looked at ,could be $$$$$$$ !

Awsome finds!

That is not Chinese friend - think Spain - and if genuine not- 14K either - you really need to have that looked at ,could be $$$$$$$ !

April Fools day. Ha Ha. Spanish? Maybe I'll have to use my 100x magnifier, cuz I'm just not seeing it.

Very nice finds
goodjob.gif
goodluck.gif

You can laugh it off if you like , but I'm very serious ! What you are showing on the scale is neither Chinese or Japanese ,
(unless of course it's a knockoff ) If it's a replica , it's replicating Spain (or Spanish mints in the "new world") not Asia .
(If your still "not seeing it " don't bother with the 100X loop - just Google Spanish "cobs" or shipwreck coins ).

Last edited:
Argentium, No offense intended. Just observing the traditional Holiday. I will take a closer look when I get home tonight. Being only my second year, I'm sure I will make a few mistakes along the way. My conclusion at this point is, that a 14k mark is on it therefore my assumption is it is modern. However, I could be mistaken, as the clarity of the mark I believe to say 14k is not so bold that my old eyes didn't struggle with it.

I appreciate your help. I'll keep you posted to the outcome.

Last edited:
This will probably drive me crazy trying to figure out what this pendant is. Is it a Cob?, is it a Replica of a Cob? who's mint mark is a Trident with the initials DS? This is like doing legal research. Then there's that lump of silver. :BangHead:

Tell ya what, the best thing for you to do is bring that stuff to central PA and toss it in my yard. I will find it one day and I will let ya know what I think it is :laughing7:

That cobb is killer! Hope it is not a repro . Looks like the real deal .

Nice finds! Congrats and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back