Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live ten minutes from a major lake, Lake Keystone just outside Tulsa, OK. I decided to venture up to a secluded beach I knew of and to heck with the Corps.? Was emailed that it was ok to detect but had to turn in any finds to Corps Commander.? Couldn't find the Corps Commander anywhere so I was forced to bring my finds home.? ?;)? I arrived at the beach area about 6:30 AM, temperature about 80 but a nice cool breeze was coming off the lake.? I needed it after I had to walk about a quarter mile to the water.? I have trouble walking any distance at all so I limped to the beach as best I could.? I discovered that the lake was way up, almost covering all the beach, with just a narrow strip of sand out of the water.? First couple of feet I hit a quarter signal and dug a clad quarter at about 4".? Another six feet and got a dime signal and dug a clad dime at 2", dated 1999.? On down the beach a ways I picked up another clad dime, 1995, at 6", then a couple of pennies.? I decided to walk out on a point that stuck out a ways into the water and got a very strong silver indication at 5".? I dug down and out came a mans silver ring with what I am sure is a fake diamond.? It was badly tarnished and I couldn't tell if it was silver or not until I got it home and cleaned it up with Tarn-X, and could read the .925 inside the band.? There was also a heart engraved with a couple of initials that I couldn't make out.? It cleaned up really nice.? I found a few more pennies, all clad of course, fairly shallow from 2 to 4".? There was a lot of trash that I had to sort through to get to the coins.? It took quite a bit of time to sort it out and get it dug up.? ?I got a few weak silver or silver clad coin signals down at or below 8" but didn't have anything with me to dig that deep.? The sand fell back into the hole as fast as I could dig it out!? I needed some kind of sifter but unfortunately I don't have one.? ?I was using my BH LandRanger this morning as I hadn't had it out for a while and it was needing some loving attention.? It did well in the wet sand but just in case I ground balanced manually ever so often.? In the wet sand the ground balance was running down on the scale at about -1 where it normally runs up around +3 for dry land detecting.? Definately a difference.? I might add that the water in Lake Keystone has a very high salinity content for a fresh water lake.? That is because the Arkansas River runs through the salt plains in western Oklahoma before it gets to the Tulsa area.That is also why it isn't used for drinking water, costs too much to remove the salt to make it pottable.? All in all a nice hunt this morning and I was back at home around 9:15 before it got too hot.? The little BH did quite well but I think I will monitor the lake levels and go at it again with my GTI 2500 when the water level drops as it always does in the summer time in OK.? Oh, and I'm going to jury rig some kind of a sifter before I go next time.? Just can't let go of that $$$ for one of those over priced stainless steel sifters... yet!? JIM? Well, got all 3 picures on but one twice and don't know how to delete the duplicate!? Darn complicated machinery!

Attachments

• DSC00167.jpg
    DSC00167.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC00168.jpg
    DSC00168.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 483
  • DSC00166.jpg
    DSC00166.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0
I have a friend who manages a pawn shop and handles a lot of jewelry. I think he has a way of testing it but not sure. It's heavy but kinda' small as it fits my pinky finger. It may be a pinky ring for all I know? JIM

Jim have that ring looked at i have silver rings with real stones

Nice ring! I made my own sieve "on the cheap" (because I'm that way <smile>). I bought a plastic colander and drilled the holes out to about 5/16ths inch. I use a garden trowel to scoop the "target sand" into the colander and shake out the sand. Works pretty well...not perfect, but not bad. Like mentioned above about the litter scoop...use a plastic colander so you can sweep over it to verify the target is in there.

Go get 'em Jim!

Batch

If that stone is real it is about a full karat. That's what makes me think it's fake. A thousand dollar diamond in a fifty dollar ring? I don't think so! Will check anyway. JIM

Congrats jim!! Looks like you have yet another site to add to your to do list.WTG!!

jimmileo said:
If that stone is real it? is about a full karat.? That's what makes me think it's fake.? A thousand dollar diamond in a fifty dollar ring?? I don't think so!? Will check anyway. JIM
Jim, you never can tell. I've seen some strange rings come through here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back