First Day of Panning

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
So this was my first day to attempt to pan and I quickly realized one thing. Well, a few things but número uno is panning is an art form and I am definitely no artist.
I feel I'm in a good area but if I have to rely on my panning to get the gold then I'm screwed. I have a great opportunity to prospect on a private piece of land (about 8 acres) in my family that is about 5 miles from known quartz/gold deposits in CT.
There is a creek that bisects the entire property which is where I was focusing my efforts. There is also quartz everywhere as well which I believe is a good indicator for the presence of gold? Right under the surface is basically bedrock and my second shovel uncovered a softball sized chunk of quartz. The river rocks are basically washed quartz boulders and you can see the river sand gleaming with all of the dissolved quartz.
One side of the creek slopes up about 15 to 20 feet of bedrock where the creek has obviously eroded over time. I think there are veins of quartz running through some of the exposed bedrock out toppings.
I was able to dig 2 five gallon buckets of material (one from the creek bed and one from larger boulders on the bank) that I have already classified with the standard classifier that comes in the green Garret panning kit. I wanted to know should I just run the material down a recirculating sluice and then run the finer stuff through say a Gold Cube?
I panned a scoop of material down to fine sand/gravel and I could start seeing the black sand but I couldn't seem to pan it down any further. I know it is lack of technique. I was very worried that I was panning out the gold (if any). I am not confident enough to pan and feel that I am catching gold. Can the afore mentioned tools be used in lieu of panning or will I have to pan at some point.
In-laws say if I find gold then I have free reign to extract however I please. I think they're as excited as I am for the hunt. For those of you with a lot of time in the field does thIs location hold promise and any suggestions on my panning woes? Those buckets of material are
screaming my name. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back