Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
As a follow-up to our summer research, my good friend Dan and I made our first outing of the season yesterday. We drove by quite a few sites early in the morning to check out the crop status, then planned to meet with a local farmer. But we couldn't catch him home and ended up going to one of our nearby old spots to get in a little swing time. We had hit this area quite hard last year, and after the first 45 min we both only had a tombac to show for our efforts not to mention getting wet from a unexpected moderate rain. Then I got a big surprise when I heard an obvious, shallow signal that was somehow missed before, and out popped a nice little cut piece of silver. That was only the 2nd one to come from this site after several hunts there. It wasn't long after that Dan also got a shock when he heard what he thought was another aluminum can shard and a beautiful half of a 2 reale pistareen was staring him in the face. We dug a few more buttons after that, but right before we left Dan dug what he though was probably a deep iron signal and then stood there stunned as he was holding his first CS tongue. Check out Dan's post for details and pics of his finds. So we were both surprised and pleased that our pounded site had produced a few more keepers. We later got permission at an early site that we plan to hit soon. And to finish the day we made a trip over to the button hotspot at my early coin spill site and made a few more finds. We had a great time and were quite pleased with the way the season had started. Lookin' forward to doing it again soon.

Attachments

• 092912a.JPG
    092912a.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 092912b.JPG
    092912b.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 5
Congrats on some awesome finds. Love the old silver but also the penny buttons. That site is giving some really old stuff no doubt. :icon_thumleft:

Wow awesome silver. Nice save

Had a blast Bill, man that was fun. Looking forward to the next week. I will do my best to get in touch with the other landowner. Sending an email to the owner of the first site we hit to help out if possible.

silver already in the pouch for the year is a good thing

Dan

Nice silver there Bill D:headbang:

Nice relics and pottery looks like your at the right site.

Blaze

Hey Bill, good finds. What is the item in the bottom of the photo with 2 holes in it ???? I have found several of them.

Great find Bill. I was hoping you would get spanish silver your first field hunt this year. Cant wait to hunt with you in November.
-Evan

Congrats Bill! May there be many more for you by years end!!

IM

Last edited:
awesome silver bill! Was there a confederate camp there?

Joey - I've heard rumor that a CS camp may have been in the vicinity, but not right on the spot we were hunting. Are you going to be hitting the fields up your way anytime soon?

Good to see the colonial silver flowing down in Old Virginia. I don't think it will stop until the crops go in next year. Dan's finding a CS tongue on a colonial site is similar to the way I found my CS tongue. I dug it on a colonial site in West Virginia. It was the only CW relic found in that field.

Good to see the colonial silver flowing down in Old Virginia. I don't think it will stop until the crops go in next year. Dan's finding a CS tongue on a colonial site is similar to the way I found my CS tongue. I dug it on a colonial site in West Virginia. It was the only CW relic found in that field.

Hey Steve, man it is fun, especially to be able to share a passion for colonial sites with someone like Bill who really appreciates it. Don't get me wrong, I love civil war sites and started off digging them solely. However the more I got into colonial sites, the more I really began to enjoy them, the last 7 years or so 90% of my land digging has been dedicated to them. This site actually was lucky in the sense that there was CW activity in the area as well. We have dug some bullets and other CW buttons from it.

Joey - I've heard rumor that a CS camp may have been in the vicinity, but not right on the spot we were hunting. Are you going to be hitting the fields up your way anytime soon?

I was out Sunday in Charles City but the stubs were too high to get serious. I found a few dandies and bridle pieces but I think the spot to be is across the street from this spot on a piece of property that was recently cleared of brush. There was an old home site there that was torn down a while back. The corn field in front of this house site is littered with delftware tile pieces which has eager to find the property owner. The tax records list a dang law firm so it must be part of an estate. I'm going back this weekend to ask around.

Your spanish silver has me itchin' to find some goodies!!!

I would love to dig a piece of CUT silver! It is always nice to pull somthing nice from a standby, hard hunted spot. I can see more awsome coins and relics in your future!

VPR

I was out Sunday in Charles City but the stubs were too high to get serious. I found a few dandies and bridle pieces but I think the spot to be is across the street from this spot on a piece of property that was recently cleared of brush. There was an old home site there that was torn down a while back. The corn field in front of this house site is littered with delftware tile pieces which has eager to find the property owner. The tax records list a dang law firm so it must be part of an estate. I'm going back this weekend to ask around.

Your spanish silver has me itchin' to find some goodies!!!

Joey - if you're finding delftware shards you're onto a very early site. Maybe you can ask the locals who farms the property and get in that way. Otherwise, you'd be hard-pressed to get permission. Good luck and keep me posted.

Its a small piece, but in a large collection:thumbsup:

Great find~! I really enjoyed your article in W&E this month, by the way. GREAT photos and a great story.

Best Wishes for a Fantastic Fall Season,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back