Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to Tatum Park in town. This park is named for Frank Tatum, one of the founders of Whitall Tatum Glass Co. No metal detecting allowed within 100 feet of the old house so I hit all the far lawn and outlying fields. This is several hunts worth of finds.

20200130_130033.jpg
20200130_092428.jpg

The capped bust, LC, and V nickels were in the old farm fields and so were all the buttons except the "W".
I don't know what type of button this is, different shank.

20200130_072101.jpg
20200130_091424.jpgmagnify_2020-01-30_09-51-09.jpg

I believe the W (unless it's an M) is for Whitall. John Whitall and Frank Tatum were in business together and JW was a well known ship captain and philanthropist. This button was just across a dirt lane from the house, under a large tree root. It was well caked with dirt. I cleaned very carefully and was stunned at the result. There appears to be a makers mark on the shank. Any help appreciated. Time frame could be 1860 to 1930 or so.
20200130_091030.jpg
20200130_091108.jpg
I might have a couple drawer pulls in the button pic at lower right.

20200130_092231.jpg
20200130_092208.jpg

I went over areas I'd been before but more slowly this time. All types of relics underfoot. The long copper split piece is part of a thermometer. Stamped George Taylor, Rochester NY. Boot heel plate, hers and his watch backs, Prudential thimble, gas lamp piece. The piece with the lily is maybe a sash buckle? The door knob matches the shiny brass originals in the house, the pottery is from the Onondaga Pottery Co., and next to that is a Victorian picture hanger(learned that on tnet). Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 39
That would be cool if that was his button seems likely. Great job on the capped bust I'm still looking for my first soon I hope great job on the finds maybe some day they will let you do the yard. Great post. Tommy

That would be cool if that was his button seems likely. Great job on the capped bust I'm still looking for my first soon I hope great job on the finds maybe some day they will let you do the yard. Great post. Tommy

Thanks Tommy. The old silver was a nice surprise.

That’s an awesome hunt!! Gotta love the oldies!!

JEALOUS!! Love it

Awww man that's a nice coin. Congrats on some great finds. Hope I can join the Capped Bust club someday.

Awww man that's a nice coin. Congrats on some great finds. Hope I can join the Capped Bust club someday.

Thanks. You will join the club, always when you least expect it.

Awesome finds

Nice finds! I found my first capped bust this last summer. The "w" button is actually half of a cuff link.

Outstanding coin and relic hunt! :occasion14:

Lots of nice finds there, but the Capped Bust coin is awesome. Congrats

Wow,,Awesome relic hunt! And a well deserved congrats on the CB & LC :icon_thumleft:

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!! Nice Hunts!!!

Nice finds! I found my first capped bust this last summer. The "w" button is actually half of a cuff link.

Thank you for the button ID. I looked at cuff links, seals, etc... online but couldn't find the shank type.

Amazing coin and relic finds. Congrats on the bust.:icon_thumleft:

That's a great bunch of finds there! The capped bust coin is a huge find in mind opinon! Congrats on it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back