First Ben Franklin Half...1962

gklug

Jul 22, 2014
Wilkes-Barre
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro with 8.5x11 DD stock coil, 5x8 DD and NEL Storm coil. Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I was helping a friend from work learn his ACE 250. He just started metal detecting about a month ago and had some questions about pinpointing and signal verification. So I would scan the ground for a target with my AT Pro and then have him go over the same target with his 250 to check the VDI symbols. Also went over different ways to pinpoint the target using both front and back tips, sides and center of the coil. Also explained the proper way to dig a plug as to not destroy the ground. I guess the detector Gods were smiling down on me for the training session because as I was scanning in a section of trees that could have been a picnic area; I got a good 87-88 hit about 4 or so inches down. Thinking it was a clad quarter I wasn't too excited...until I pulled the plug and scooped out some of the dirt. I saw a thick rim, too thick to be a quarter. Pulled it out and brushed away some of the dirt and he was staring at me; Mr. Ben Franklin. A huge surprise for me and my first Franklin Half. Super stoked. Ben Franklin Half.jpg :occasion14:

Upvote 23
I would have gotten exited about seeing an 88 (I use Whites MXT) Because clad quarters come in as 84 -87 - but not 88 in
my experience , Nice Find !

Bam, good deeds rewarded, great half!

That's a nice reward for helping another! Nice job, and silver!

I'd be stoked if I pulled my first Franklin. Congrats on the 1st. :occasion14: The Franklin still evades my coil.

1962 you say? Well darn, that was the year of my birth. That would make a wonderful gift, lol.
Nice way to show your buddy how it's done. Too bad he will be disappointed though!

Congrats on the Franklin

Sweet Big silver!!

My one only big silver was a 48-D Franklin.

Nice job helping him out...not a bad reward :) The only problem is he is now going to think that it is THAT easy. Great coin, congratulations.

Great save! Big silver is always a welcome surprise. Congrats!

Still seeking my first Franklin Half-Dollar here I know its not easy to find them big congrats !!!

Now your friend is going to think big silver is easy to find haha!

Nice find!

Great story, and an awesome reward for helping your friend. Still looking for my first Franklin half. Way to go!

He's all good Old Dude. He was excited for me actually. And to be able to show his son what great things you can find.

Sweet Big silver!!

My one only big silver was a 48-D Franklin.

Thanks deershed. I pulled a 1936 Walker Half last year, which actually was my first year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back