fired musket bullet perhaps? 1st one.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my only guess because of the rings on the back side. can we date this?
IMG_0142_zps1ba2f927.jpg

It is definitey a fired bullet which "mushroomed" outward due to a very hard impact on a solid object. But "mushroomed" fired bullets can be very difficult to accurately date, due to the extreme damage. About the only thing which might tell us whether your bullet is from the 2nd half of the 1800s or the 20th-Century is the precise measurement of its still-circular flat base (in the center of the "mushroom"). If its base is any less than .5-inch in diameter, it is most likely from the 20th-Century.

Upvote 0
Looks fairly modern but I'm no expert. I would say definitely not a musket ball or even a round ball

Upvote 0
It is definitey a fired bullet which "mushroomed" outward due to a very hard impact on a solid object. But "mushroomed" fired bullets can be very difficult to accurately date, due to the extreme damage. About the only thing which might tell us whether your bullet is from the 2nd half of the 1800s or the 20th-Century is the precise measurement of its still-circular flat base (in the center of the "mushroom"). If its base is any less than .5-inch in diameter, it is most likely from the 20th-Century.

It comes in right around .50/.51 on my digital caliper and I know for a fact my tools are accurate, I have them inspected at work yearly and just had it done last week by our Quality Tech. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back