Finds From The Woods Today

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Went out into the woods for some detecting today and was finding the usual shotgun shells and golfballs when i got this loud signal which i thought must be an old apple or syrup bucket, it turned out to be this weird piece of hardware that resembles a nut, its made out of copper i think but it has a glazed-like finish on it which is strange...Also found 2 pennies, a 1968 and 1984 out in the middle of the woods. And next to the cistern thingy from my other posts i found what appears to be a primitive water filter :o Its made out of a log thats cut into a round donut shape and it has a copper plate with holes punched tacked to it with copper tacks, the thing had copper mesh around it but it disintegrated when i tried cleaning it. All in all its in great condition and i think it could prove this may be a cistern.

Anyone know what the nut is? It has a small hole on the side and the inside is threaded...It was found on a trail near my house.

Attachments

• hardwarenut.JPG
    hardwarenut.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 619
  • tackand1968.JPG
    tackand1968.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 609
  • filtercloseup.JPG
    filtercloseup.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 606
  • filterinside.JPG
    filterinside.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 0
Hey Jake, nice finds. I vote for the honey strainer. I have found a number of nuts like that at various sites, mostely dating to the early 1900's. I believe it is a nut to attach a flanged pipe, possibly brake line or hydrolic line to a threaded pipe. Nice finds anyone...Lance

WTG on the finds in the woods.

The nut looking object could be a insense burner??.... ??? I remenber as a kid, my mother having a burner looking similar to that one.

My 2 cents worth.

GL & HH,

Dugholes

that nut could be some type of plumbing nut for water pipe (i know i know it has a hole in it !)
that could be a hole drilled for a carbuerator - for pot smoking - (no i dont smoke pot) lots of people made their own back in the day - LBP - ;D

Maybe seeing as i found it in the woods. But i dont see how that would work, how could you smoke out of a nut, i see what you mean about a carb, it does look crudely drilled.

u can do anything if you r so inclined to do so - people r very creative - it doesnt mean that they r efficient - i see it every day - LBP -

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back