Finds From The Woods Today

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Went out into the woods for some detecting today and was finding the usual shotgun shells and golfballs when i got this loud signal which i thought must be an old apple or syrup bucket, it turned out to be this weird piece of hardware that resembles a nut, its made out of copper i think but it has a glazed-like finish on it which is strange...Also found 2 pennies, a 1968 and 1984 out in the middle of the woods. And next to the cistern thingy from my other posts i found what appears to be a primitive water filter :o Its made out of a log thats cut into a round donut shape and it has a copper plate with holes punched tacked to it with copper tacks, the thing had copper mesh around it but it disintegrated when i tried cleaning it. All in all its in great condition and i think it could prove this may be a cistern.

Anyone know what the nut is? It has a small hole on the side and the inside is threaded...It was found on a trail near my house.

Attachments

• hardwarenut.JPG
    hardwarenut.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 619
  • tackand1968.JPG
    tackand1968.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 609
  • filtercloseup.JPG
    filtercloseup.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 606
  • filterinside.JPG
    filterinside.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 0
Loos like the thing that they used to use in Georgia to strain the honey into a bucket. They would set that on the bucket and then put the honey comb on top and let it drain. It would get the bees out. And all this time you thought honey comb was a cereal!

I don't know about ID'ing your finds, but how odd to find modern cents in the middle of the woods.

It could be a honey sieve too! Didnt think of that one...But there are a few real old maple trees here :)

That would make sense since i found it on a path that a really good mountain biker used to ride on, he went pro eventually. Ill have to look on some bikes for similar parts. Thanks for the info :)

Jake,

that round cut with the filter on it is one nice artifact; hope you can get a definite I.D. on it.

Nice finds.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

I know its really nice :) The fact that its preserved so good is also nice, wonder why it didnt rot like all the trees around it...

Jake,
I went out today and like you I also found a 1984 penny out in the middle of the woods. Even betternot only in the middle of the woods but on top of a mountian. I have no ideal how it got there it was about 5 inches deep. Range as a dime with the ACE 250 I think that had something to do with the soil......

Kermit

A still is what moonshiners make whiskey with, but I doubt that that is what it was for. The holes are to big to filter out the mash unless they put cheese cloth over it. If I remember correctly though, the shiners didn't filter anything. They simply cooked if it and distilled it. All the mash would stay in the cooking pot. It does however really resemble the honey strainer that I have seen being used. And all that wax that would have been ran across it could explain the preservation.

Nate Rinquest- not sure how you spell that name. I hear he recently won alot of competitions. His trails are hard, i have tried riding them and they are pretty crazy some of em ;D

Not a clue, but them are some interesting finds, WTG!!!
Good luck on the ID, & Happy hunting~

jake - now i know i am getting old 40 next year - the guys i used to follow john tomac , ned overhend (sp) , cindy whitehead (woman ofcourse) - from the late 80s early 90s didnt match that name ofcouse ........... i was hoping though - anyways - your woods finds are very interesting - when the poison ivy starts dying thats where i will be going w/blaze orange on - keep up the good work - LBP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back