Finding the Limits of the Hotspot.......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When ever we discover a site like this, we will always try & find the limits of the site, specially in large fields (where doing the whole field is not practical).

After yesterdays success on this site we were pumped for more of the same. But when we gridded down the field & close to where the Roman silvers came from we had very little including lead, so we knew we had one of the edges. We had found the other two yesterday, so only one side of the square to complete. We worked into the dark but the coins kept coming. So we still have some more work to do next year. (this was our 2nd & our last day on this field)

We had 28 Roman Bronze Coins (Equal best day total this year & equal to yesterdays) but only did 4.5 hours today. 56 Bronzes in 2 days is a great total, pity we hit all the silver yesterday.

We had 3 Lead Roman Steel Yard weights, not sure what this site is yet :icon_scratch: No roman brooches :icon_scratch: Nene Valley painted tableware pottery (mid-high status). All we can say is its a late site, nearly all the coins are 4th century.

Although recently we have mega boosted our roman count, our Medieval hammered have dried up.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 887
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 882
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 868
Upvote 0
tyre kicker said:
woody50 said:
tyre kicker said:
woody50 said:
Nice stuff again Cru, and its still a pity that you don't find the roman weights somewhat earlier (say 1500 years) so the iron wire would still be attached, then you would like them! I am also surprised at your roman coins (bronze). I almost never see a real good quality one, the ground by you is pretty loamy/sandy or something. When I have searched, for every 20 bad bronze Romans there is always one that looks like it has just been dropped.

But nice finds for sure! Its always funny that in some fields you find a lot of silvers, and other fields nothing! But it was surely fun for 4 1/2 hours of searching. Greetings on your dad!
Hi woody......it's not very often the bronzes come out with a great detail on them Crusader will tell you that out of a hundred you will be lucky to get ten good ones at least that's the ratio I have been getting this year, Crusaders also been unlucky with his Silvers as well were as i have had better luck, there again look at his artifacts this season they more than make up for the lack of good coins, my Roman Villa field has produced a lot of Silvers and bronzes but very few artifacts and a lot of hammered Silvers yet just across the stream the field has produced a lot of artifacts and no Silver Roman a few Bronze Roman and the odd hammered :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Hi TireKicker! I was wondering about what I said about the quality of Roman coins that I have found, so decided to take a look. I got my Roman coins out and sorted, classified and counted them. I was myself VERY surprised at the outcome! I used the A.N.A. Grading Standards, but I am not an expert in grading..... So to see is the quality from Romans found in England is much better than the coins I find here on fields in mainland Europe... I think better ground...

Total Roman Coins - Quality/Tally

Grade
% total
Amount

XF or EF
4.75%
Can be determined

Sure VF to EF
18.7%
Can be determined

Fine to VF
20.5%
Can be determined

Fine One side
15%
Can be partly determined

Basal to VG
41%

Total

Roman Coins

Unknown

Must be cleaned first

Grand Total

Hi Woody....I was classing coins as what I would put into an album(album coins) as would Crusader, coins that would have good detail one side or the outher,these coins would proberbly grade f very few bronze coins would grade higher than this in my findings, the soil and modern day ferterlizer put pay to thatTK :thumbsup:

I'm with you on this one. The soil is terrible around my way. Of the 400 we had this year, only about 40 were Album Coins (mostly graded at no better than VF, mostly F. {although I had a couple of EF}), 60 'G' (good) ones that I give out when doing displays. Then the rest were blanks or near blanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back