Finally took possession of my new CZ 21 (long)

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bit of an issue with Federal Express as the dealer I traded the machine to mistakenly sent it to the FedEx drop-off address that I shipped it from as opposed to my home address, which I had written on a huge piece of paper and stuck in the box with the detectors I shipped. I didn't know until the day before it was set to be delivered that it was going to a wrong address, so I changed the pickup location to a Federal Express office. They notified me when it was ready to pick up and I went right over. When I got there they asked me for proof of my relation to the address it was originally supposed to be sent to. Of course I didn't have any because I don't live at a FedEx drop-off place, but, after about 10 minutes of almost begging for my detector I had her look up the address it was originally supposed to go to and lo and behold it was a mailing office. She agreed to let me have it but sternly warned me that I need to make sure the correct addresses are on any further shipments. Like I had a choice as to where the shipment was sent. Regardless, crisis averted and detector in hand. After about an hour and a half of "un-modifying" the coil cable that had about 600 feet of electrical tape wrapped around a wire loom attached to it, she is finally ready for the beach. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why in the world anybody would put a wire loom onto the coil cable, open at both ends so it can trap lots of water and sand, and then add a half a pound of tape to it. I'm hoping and praying the cable hasn't been stressed to its limits with all the extra weight that had been added to it. So far the tests I have run in my own backyard have shown it to be working properly as far as I can tell, my backyard is not very good for testing as it is absolutely littered with iron trash. Headed to the beach tomorrow for the real testing even though it's supposed to be a miserable rainy day. Oh well, I can never seem to leave the beach dry anyway so I'm not worried about a bit of rain. I will post photos of anything I happen to dig up, although the last time or two I was there with the Sea Hunter, pickings were really slim.

Upvote 0
luck med_662355227edf550dbc.gif

I hunt in all metal (auto tune) with mine and set ground to five and always turn sensitivity up as high as I can
and run with constant hum - usually at 7-8 (I own 3 cz21s - and all 3 run different)
I will click to zero 0 and check when in heavy trash areas but usually always dig it all
in ID mode (silent running with low medium and high tones) really really deep good targets
can read off as lower signal - when I get a deep faint target in water and it goes off as
possible iron - I will fan with my dive boot and recheck - 9 times out of 10 - after rechecking
tone will turn to medium or high
also if your batteries are low - it can cause deep good targets to read lower
If you run in ID mode only - you will lose depth - and you may pass up good deep targets
that read at first as iron but are so deep that signal return is weak
if your hitting mostly newer spots - you should have no probs with this
I hit a lot of spots that go back to early 1900s and some into the 1800s
good luck
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html

I had a bit of an issue with Federal Express as the dealer I traded the machine to mistakenly sent it to the FedEx drop-off address that I shipped it from as opposed to my home address, which I had written on a huge piece of paper and stuck in the box with the detectors I shipped. I didn't know until the day before it was set to be delivered that it was going to a wrong address, so I changed the pickup location to a Federal Express office. They notified me when it was ready to pick up and I went right over. When I got there they asked me for proof of my relation to the address it was originally supposed to be sent to. Of course I didn't have any because I don't live at a FedEx drop-off place, but, after about 10 minutes of almost begging for my detector I had her look up the address it was originally supposed to go to and lo and behold it was a mailing office. She agreed to let me have it but sternly warned me that I need to make sure the correct addresses are on any further shipments. Like I had a choice as to where the shipment was sent. Regardless, crisis averted and detector in hand. After about an hour and a half of "un-modifying" the coil cable that had about 600 feet of electrical tape wrapped around a wire loom attached to it, she is finally ready for the beach. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why in the world anybody would put a wire loom onto the coil cable, open at both ends so it can trap lots of water and sand, and then add a half a pound of tape to it. I'm hoping and praying the cable hasn't been stressed to its limits with all the extra weight that had been added to it. So far the tests I have run in my own backyard have shown it to be working properly as far as I can tell, my backyard is not very good for testing as it is absolutely littered with iron trash. Headed to the beach tomorrow for the real testing even though it's supposed to be a miserable rainy day. Oh well, I can never seem to leave the beach dry anyway so I'm not worried about a bit of rain. I will post photos of anything I happen to dig up, although the last time or two I was there with the Sea Hunter, pickings were really slim.

Well I bet you have a nice CZ 21.. There is a pretty good chance it belonged to me at one time based on a little of the content in your comments about the detector. I bought it new and installed an Andersons straight rod on it (see the the pic below) maybe it still has that rod on it. I also let the stock rod go with the detector when I traded it in.

**** You can disagree with the wire loom protection material and tape all day but I hunted with it like that for a few years and never an issue with sand or water also never had a coil wire fail like other guys have. I have done this as well to my in land units for the last 12 years or so and never an issue, never a sliced stressed or split or cut coil wire.

I also blow off my detectors with light air pressure and wash and wiped down with a damp micro fiber after every use. My detectors stay over all spotless and in great shape. Say what you want but the proof is in how good of shape that detector was in when you got it unless someone else messed it up before you got it. I got rid of the CZ-21 about 1 to 1 1/2 years back and after all of the use I put on it the detector still looked great at the time I traded it in.

The proof is in the pudding all my detectors stay almost brand new looking and in return giving me a better trade in and re-sell value. Again if that was my CZ-21 you got a nice detector and in top condition.

My White TDI Beach Hunter is the same way as well as all of my other detectors.

Anyway, Have A Blessed One,
Bill G

Attachments

• CZ-21%20Anderson%20shaft.JPG
    CZ-21%20Anderson%20shaft.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 102
  • TDI 1.jpg
    TDI 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 108
  • tesoro.jpg
    tesoro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • tesoro and CZ.jpg
    tesoro and CZ.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • at beach.jpg
    at beach.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
It may very well be your old detector. And yes, it actually is in really good shape, and for that I am thankful. As far as getting rid of the wire loom and all that electric tape, I like to secure my cable as close to the shaft as I can. I've had one too many detectors that false badly when the coil cable is even a little loose. Just a personal preference, but it seems to work. The other reason was I just couldn't see the additional weight and drag that the loom would create. By chance, were you an electrician? I was in the IBEW for a few years and you can wrap tape with the best of them. I had the machine out this morning for about 4 hours. the first hour and a half seemed fine, I was honestly not expecting to find many targets as they have been pushing sand all over the place building burms for the winter time. I found an aluminum grommet about as big as a nickel maybe 6 in deep and then a lead headed fishing lure maybe 5 or 6 in deep as well. After a little bit it started falsing like crazy, and no matter what setting I put on the detector it just would not stop giving me an overload over the black sand area of the beach. I tossed the couple of items I mentioned earlier on the sand and threw a few inches of sand over them and could not pick either of them up, darn near had to scrub the coil with the lead from the fishing lure just to get a peep. at that time I decided to go back to the vehicle and switch the batteries out, as I had used rechargeable batteries in it that were supposedly brand new and fully charged. I happened to bring along four extra junk Amazon 9 volt batteries just in case. Once I popped those in the detector it started handling much better and began detecting the way it should. I was never able to ground balance anywhere on the beach. the closest I could get to balanced was cranked up to 10 but still seemed quite a bit positive. It's pretty much the same way in my own backyard, but I take any reading I get from my own backyard with a huge grain of salt as it is just littered with iron and aluminum pieces. I decided to hit the hardware store on the way home and buy a brick of quality 9 volt batteries. I'll be heading back out tomorrow morning to see how it runs with decent batteries in it.

Enjoy the new machine! :occasion14:

It may very well be your old detector. And yes, it actually is in really good shape, and for that I am thankful. As far as getting rid of the wire loom and all that electric tape, I like to secure my cable as close to the shaft as I can. I've had one too many detectors that false badly when the coil cable is even a little loose. Just a personal preference, but it seems to work. The other reason was I just couldn't see the additional weight and drag that the loom would create. By chance, were you an electrician? I was in the IBEW for a few years and you can wrap tape with the best of them. I had the machine out this morning for about 4 hours. the first hour and a half seemed fine, I was honestly not expecting to find many targets as they have been pushing sand all over the place building burms for the winter time. I found an aluminum grommet about as big as a nickel maybe 6 in deep and then a lead headed fishing lure maybe 5 or 6 in deep as well. After a little bit it started falsing like crazy, and no matter what setting I put on the detector it just would not stop giving me an overload over the black sand area of the beach. I tossed the couple of items I mentioned earlier on the sand and threw a few inches of sand over them and could not pick either of them up, darn near had to scrub the coil with the lead from the fishing lure just to get a peep. at that time I decided to go back to the vehicle and switch the batteries out, as I had used rechargeable batteries in it that were supposedly brand new and fully charged. I happened to bring along four extra junk Amazon 9 volt batteries just in case. Once I popped those in the detector it started handling much better and began detecting the way it should. I was never able to ground balance anywhere on the beach. the closest I could get to balanced was cranked up to 10 but still seemed quite a bit positive. It's pretty much the same way in my own backyard, but I take any reading I get from my own backyard with a huge grain of salt as it is just littered with iron and aluminum pieces. I decided to hit the hardware store on the way home and buy a brick of quality 9 volt batteries. I'll be heading back out tomorrow morning to see how it runs with decent batteries in it.

I understand the coil wire thing if you look at the pic of the CZ-21 you see that the coil wire is run straight up the shaft then wrapped more at the top. I understand the weight thing the loom ways next to nothing but the tape adds weight. On my new White's TDI Beach Hunter I only used the loom material with no tape wrap and it seems to work just fine. Oh not an Electrician but I do run a power plant LM2500 Cogen plants for a living.

The CZ-21 likes fresh Alkaline batteries. Also in the bad stuff with the CZ-21 still being a VLF duel frequency detector you still may need to turn down the gain to get a handle on false signals. A lower gain sometimes than you might think in the bad stuff. Also run the disk as low as possible or you can and will loose small lead and gold items. Heck as you know just dig everything... Lol.

Also the higher numbers like 10 on the GB knob takes you more positive when pumping the coil to ground balance and the lower numbers more negative on your balancing. Always GB in all metal with the CZ-21 or with the pin point button on.

The CZ-21 can be finicky on certain sands with balancing and the gain control.

Enjoy and have fun and all the best,
Bill G

Last edited:
I understand the coil wire thing if you look at the pic of the CZ-21 you see that the coil wire is run straight up the shaft then wrapped more at the top. I understand the weight thing the loom ways next to nothing but the tape adds weight. On my new White's TDI Beach Hunter I only used the loom material with no tape wrap and it seems to work just fine. Oh not an Electrician but I do run a power plant LM2500 Cogen plants for a living.

The CZ-21 likes fresh Alkaline batteries. Also in the bad stuff with the CZ-21 still being a VLF duel frequency detector you still may need to turn down the gain to get a handle on false signals. A lower gain sometimes than you might think in the bad stuff. Also run the disk as low as possible or you can and will loose small lead and gold items. Heck as you know just dig everything... Lol.

Also the higher numbers like 10 on the GB knob takes you more positive when pumping the coil to ground balance and the lower numbers more negative on your balancing. Always GB in all metal with the CZ-21 or with the pin point button on.

The CZ-21 can be finicky on certain sands with balancing and the gain control.

Enjoy and have fun and all the best,
Bill G
I get small gold at depth all the time - I was getting lead "bucky balls" CW shot at foot plus on a few dirt hunts
I have never done that Pump ground balance thing with any of my 3 machines - they are set up
to turn on and go and I get silver and gold and lead close to 2 ft range all the time
only "falsing" I ever get is when I get into hot rocks - I hunt in black sand all the time in New England waters
I know guys that have gotten falsing in large clam bed spots - usually quahogs

I get small gold at depth all the time - I was getting lead "bucky balls" CW shot at foot plus on a few dirt hunts
I have never done that Pump ground balance thing with any of my 3 machines - they are set up
to turn on and go and I get silver and gold and lead close to 2 ft range all the time
only "falsing" I ever get is when I get into hot rocks - I hunt in black sand all the time in New England waters
I know guys that have gotten falsing in large clam bed spots - usually quahogs

Well that’s good depths and performance and glad it works out that way for you. With that said the method I mentioned is the correct way to ground balance a Fisher CZ-21 and many other detectors according to the owners manuel.

All The Best,
Bill G

Hey Bill, if you don't mind my asking, about how old is the detector?

Hey Bill, if you don't mind my asking, about how old is the detector?

Purchased new from Big Boy Hobbies end of July first part of August 2014.

All The Best,
Bill G

Last edited:
Well I had the machine back at the beach this morning. Wow, what a crappy day. couldn't stand it for more than an hour and a half, wasn't so much the rain as the 30 plus mile an hour winds coming off the ocean that made it too much. I'm still not able to ground balance, tried it up in the dry sand as well as the wet sand. Both methods still produce sound as the coil goes toward the ground even with the dial maxed out at 10. Crank it back the other way it only gets louder. I guess I'm content with it that way if that's how it needs to run at the beach, I found a 4-inch quarter, a 6-inch quarter and a penny in the 8 to 10 in range before I gave up. all of these targets came in loud and clear. I also dug a Corona beer bottle cap but I was pretty sure it was junk to begin with. It would have a good high tone that would bounce to a low tone every once in awhile. Otherwise I am super pleased with the operation, I was able to run the sensitivity up around 7 down at the water and into the water with hardly any falsing at all. A big shout out and thank you to Bill g for taking such good care of the detector while he owned it. I promise to do the same as this one is going to be buried with me. Also, as a side note, I believe this machine is hotter in discrimination mode then Auto-Tune. I know it that doesn't seem right but I swear in the testings I've done that zero on the discrimination is getting anywhere from 3 to 4 in deeper than Auto-Tune. and that is just dandy by me as I seldom hunt in auto-tune because there is just far too much garbage on the beaches where I hunt. I tried hunting in Auto-Tune the first day and it was just too much. I know I still get to hear everything and zero discrimination but at least I had a better idea as to the quality of the Target, and if it is indeed deeper, all the better for me. I guess it's time to order that wetsuit so I can get out where nobody else wants to go.

Well I had the machine back at the beach this morning. Wow, what a crappy day. couldn't stand it for more than an hour and a half, wasn't so much the rain as the 30 plus mile an hour winds coming off the ocean that made it too much. I'm still not able to ground balance, tried it up in the dry sand as well as the wet sand. Both methods still produce sound as the coil goes toward the ground even with the dial maxed out at 10. Crank it back the other way it only gets louder. I guess I'm content with it that way if that's how it needs to run at the beach, I found a 4-inch quarter, a 6-inch quarter and a penny in the 8 to 10 in range before I gave up. all of these targets came in loud and clear. I also dug a Corona beer bottle cap but I was pretty sure it was junk to begin with. It would have a good high tone that would bounce to a low tone every once in awhile. Otherwise I am super pleased with the operation, I was able to run the sensitivity up around 7 down at the water and into the water with hardly any falsing at all. A big shout out and thank you to Bill g for taking such good care of the detector while he owned it. I promise to do the same as this one is going to be buried with me. Also, as a side note, I believe this machine is hotter in discrimination mode then Auto-Tune. I know it that doesn't seem right but I swear in the testings I've done that zero on the discrimination is getting anywhere from 3 to 4 in deeper than Auto-Tune. and that is just dandy by me as I seldom hunt in auto-tune because there is just far too much garbage on the beaches where I hunt. I tried hunting in Auto-Tune the first day and it was just too much. I know I still get to hear everything and zero discrimination but at least I had a better idea as to the quality of the Target, and if it is indeed deeper, all the better for me. I guess it's time to order that wetsuit so I can get out where nobody else wants to go.

I agree the detector was hotter with the disc turned down than the auto tune mode and more stable and smoother running. I don't know if you did this or not but try doing your GB starting at the 5 set point then using the pin point button. Ingage it pump the coil up and down 6" to 8" adjusting the knob up or down gradually until the unit balances. If the detector still will not balance in your ground the owners manual if I remember correctly recommends that you just set the detector at the pre set mark of 5 midway on the knob and start hunting.

Thanks for the shout out and have fun.

Bill G

Last edited:
I will give that a try the next time I am out there, which will probably be tomorrow morning. I think I read in the owner's manual as well where it says if it doesn't want to ground balance to leave it at either 5 or 10 I can't remember which it was but it seems to work just dandy in the 10 spot. I was amazed that it was as quiet as it was with water rolling right over the coil and sensitivity at 7. wetsuit and dive boots are on order, I'm headed out where those five footers smack people around and jewelry gets lost. As long as nobody crashes into me with their surfboard I should be fine.

I took the detector into the front yard to try out your suggested method and I was successful. What I did was set up the machine about how I thought it would be set up to run properly and then placed the coil flat on the ground before turning it on. With the ground balance on 5, I turned the machine on then picked the coil up off the ground, popped it in to pinpoint mode and began bobbing the coil and was able to get it to even out at about seven and a half or 8. Thank you so much for the tip, hopefully it will work at the beach but if not I'm good with leaving it on the 10 position. It seemed to work just fine.

I will give that a try the next time I am out there, which will probably be tomorrow morning. I think I read in the owner's manual as well where it says if it doesn't want to ground balance to leave it at either 5 or 10 I can't remember which it was but it seems to work just dandy in the 10 spot. I was amazed that it was as quiet as it was with water rolling right over the coil and sensitivity at 7. wetsuit and dive boots are on order, I'm headed out where those five footers smack people around and jewelry gets lost. As long as nobody crashes into me with their surfboard I should be fine.

Sounds great and best off luck. It is 5 in the manual also circled in red on the control screen which would be dead center of the GB adjustment range or neutral. I think 10 may be a hair to positive even though it is working well. But with that said 10 may be the ticket give both a try.

I am glad to have helped and hope it works at the beach for you as well.

Have Fun,
Bill G

Last edited:
I took the detector into the front yard to try out your suggested method and I was successful. What I did was set up the machine about how I thought it would be set up to run properly and then placed the coil flat on the ground before turning it on. With the ground balance on 5, I turned the machine on then picked the coil up off the ground, popped it in to pinpoint mode and began bobbing the coil and was able to get it to even out at about seven and a half or 8. Thank you so much for the tip, hopefully it will work at the beach but if not I'm good with leaving it on the 10 position. It seemed to work just fine.

Good deal, that method for GB has always always worked well for me especially with the CZ-21 when I had it.

Take Care,
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back