Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first coin since getting back into MDing this February. I was stoked! OK, so it’s just a 1977 no mint mark Jeff; but the first coin of the year is now in the books. I found it in a park. MDing is allowed, but houses butt-up to one side. People call city hall and whine when a detector is seen. Eventually it’ll get shut down; easier to give in than to listen to the b!tch!ng. To prevent an issue, I just took my pinpointer and went around the park benches. Found some aluminum caps too, so I helped clean up a little.

Attachments

• A81BDB39-9DC6-4227-A711-7CDFECE531F7.jpeg
    A81BDB39-9DC6-4227-A711-7CDFECE531F7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 16
My first coin since getting back into MDing this February. I was stoked! OK, so it’s just a 1977 no mint mark Jeff; but the first coin of the year is now in the books. I found it in a park. MDing is allowed, but houses butt-up to one side. People call city hall and whine when a detector is seen. Eventually it’ll get shut down; easier to give in than to listen to the b!tch!ng. To prevent an issue, I just took my pinpointer and went around the park benches. Found some aluminum caps too, so I helped clean up a little.
A coin is a coin! Good job.

I have been detecting for almost 35 years now and I will tell you that the busy bodies will never stop bothering you, and there is no point in appeasing them. Some will tell you to apologize profusely and retreat, but all this will do over the years is lose you quality hobby time. It doesn't matter if you have permission or are digging in barren dirt which has been run over by bulldozers, they will still yell at you and they will still call the police. It's incredible really. I have been bothered by the busy bodies while on MY OWN PROPERTY. If you are doing nothing wrong tell them to buzz off and go about enjoying your time and life. It's unfortunate but that is the way it is. You will meet some really friendly and curious people, too, and that might even open up more permissions. But never fear the petty tyrants!

Put on an orange vest, I detect in a park a town away, and wear an orange vest one of the busy bodies thought I was weed wacking and pointed out several spots I missed. I thanked her and said I would make sure to get them on my next pass.

My buddy had the police called on him recently. The lady was the self proclaimed "sheriff of the woods" I'm just gonna say my buddy played it cool and the police weren't happy with the woman who called them. He wasn't doing anything wrong. Explained we don't need permits for our area and then showed them his permit for another area where you do need it. Let's just say she was completely in the wrong and found out the hard way. Good on you finding a coin with only a pinpointer. I know that'd a hard thing to do. Now get your detector and find some more!

Congrats on the recovery of your first coin. I'd keep that one, put it in a little holder mark it (date) and it will be a reminder of that day and feeling.

Don't let a few rain on your parade, to walk away is giving these busy bodies a reason to do what they do.
It's a public park to be enjoyed by all, not their grass.
(Now if your digging giant unkept plugs-then off with the head)
Been reported many time over the decades, almost got run over with the push bar on the cruiser once when he slid on the grass.
I stated what I was doing-no gun as reported-no big holes as reported-but those skid marks are a tad ugly. :laughing7:
They (cops) 95% of the time ask if I found anything, best of luck, have a good day, sorry to bother you.

Other 5% was over the ownership curb strips in rich area-mutual agreement to move on.
The other was go to another area-next cop sent me back to the first area. :dontknow:

I understand the don’t worry about it philosophy when doing nothing wrong. I also know how the local authority functions. Passing a No Treasure Hunting ordinance on city property stops the phone calls. Squeaky wheel getting the proverbial grease. I should call the Call Before You Dig Number. They’d crap when they saw the little colored flags all over the park! 😁

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back