43.9 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC03778.JPG
    DSC03778.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC03779.JPG
    DSC03779.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 488
Upvote 0
Spanish silver was some of the only "hard cash" in America in the 18th century. It's also what trade silver was made from. :thumbsup:

Sweet finds and nice pics. That river says Walleye to me. :wink: This is my first season near a trade site and I've already recovered multiple pieces of silver. Looking the the river pic I'm assuming that natives would walk the ridge lines or camp on hill tops with a wide view. I'm wondering if any of you guys detect the shore line spill were erosion would drop relics that were originaly on top of the ridge? This is my third season detecting and my first on a general trade site location.

Bluffs with good vistas above rivers are THE PLACE to find camps. Paleo- to Late Historic. Villages are harder to predict IMHO.

Lots of stuff is found by bank erosion. New road cuts, construction sites, etc. are also good places.

There was a dragon side plate that was found in the eroded bank of a 1832 Wisconsin site where farmers were killed by marauding Indians from Black Hawk's band.

Lucas said:
Bluffs with good vistas above rivers are THE PLACE to find camps. Paleo- to Late Historic. Villages are harder to predict IMHO.

Lots of stuff is found by bank erosion. New road cuts, construction sites, etc. are also good places.

There was a dragon side plate that was found in the eroded bank of a 1832 Wisconsin site where farmers were killed by marauding Indians from Black Hawk's band.

I've been cheeking out a field about a quarter mile from an established trade site up here on one of the major northern prairrie rivers. So far I've found an iron arrowhead, one copper jangler and pieces of cut kettle scrap. 10-11 silver pieces from turtles, to janglers, to two large (Narcisse Roy) and one medium brooch (unidentified and recently posted here), a silver ear bob, three musket balls and a small copper cresent. I believe this spot to have been a native camp. I'm green at trade site info, but learning quickly.

NWPM, you have to learn quickly if your finding that kind of stuff. The best suggestion I can give you is crank up your gain and turn down your dis. Dig everything and throw away nothing and also a good idea to document what your finding and where in a journal. Lots of things I have found and later have been able to identify as being trade related, but at the time had no idea.

Sounds like a great spot...good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back