Finally, my first Indian Head, and its a rare 1909-S !!

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, my first Indian Head, a rare 1909-S !! Should I clean it?

Went out in the heat Saturday with RayRayVegas and hit some old lots we had picked over before. After over 3 hours of digging in hardpack :BangHead: and only 5 wheats between us, I suggested we head over to the house where I found my first Barber dime last Sunday.

I hit the front yard and Ray went to the back. I popped a few wheat right away, and then worked my way to the back of the house, where Ray was coming up empty handed
:dontknow:, so I went back to the front and by the corner of the house got a nice signal around 2 inches. Now most of the wheats were 3-8 inches, so I wasn't expecting much. When I popped out the coin, it was so crusty I thought it could be a zincoln. Until I wiped the back and saw a wreath. I was stoked! My first Indian Head after 5 years of hunting!:headbang: So in 1 week I got 2 of my elusive targets at the same location. I showed Ray and stuck in my pocket and never saw the date until I got home and ran it under some water. At first i thought 1900, but got a nice picture of it and enlarged to see the date. After a little water on the reverse, I was able to make out the "S":icon_biggrin:. Pretty lousy condition, but I'll take it! Worth the 2 lbs of sweat I lost in 5 hours of desert hunting!

Also got a gold earing and some sort of "wishing well" charm?

Should I clean it or leave as is? I'd like to see a little more detail on it.

Attachments

• 1909 indian front.JPG
    1909 indian front.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 1909 Indian back.JPG
    1909 Indian back.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 262
  • indian house all finds.jpg
    indian house all finds.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 12
I dug a 1909-S just like this one in 1999. They're almost identical twins, in fact. While I was scraping off some of the crud on the reverse, the "S" mint mark just flaked off with the corrosion. D'Oh! So I think you know my opinion on cleaning it.

awesome. too bad it's so crusty

for indian heads i use linseed oil, i soak them for about 2 days and pick at it with a tooth pick in between. I only use that on my less valuable ones tho, you may want to reconsider cleaning it at all and just leave it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back