Finally, my first Indian Head, and its a rare 1909-S !!

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, my first Indian Head, a rare 1909-S !! Should I clean it?

Went out in the heat Saturday with RayRayVegas and hit some old lots we had picked over before. After over 3 hours of digging in hardpack :BangHead: and only 5 wheats between us, I suggested we head over to the house where I found my first Barber dime last Sunday.

I hit the front yard and Ray went to the back. I popped a few wheat right away, and then worked my way to the back of the house, where Ray was coming up empty handed
:dontknow:, so I went back to the front and by the corner of the house got a nice signal around 2 inches. Now most of the wheats were 3-8 inches, so I wasn't expecting much. When I popped out the coin, it was so crusty I thought it could be a zincoln. Until I wiped the back and saw a wreath. I was stoked! My first Indian Head after 5 years of hunting!:headbang: So in 1 week I got 2 of my elusive targets at the same location. I showed Ray and stuck in my pocket and never saw the date until I got home and ran it under some water. At first i thought 1900, but got a nice picture of it and enlarged to see the date. After a little water on the reverse, I was able to make out the "S":icon_biggrin:. Pretty lousy condition, but I'll take it! Worth the 2 lbs of sweat I lost in 5 hours of desert hunting!

Also got a gold earing and some sort of "wishing well" charm?

Should I clean it or leave as is? I'd like to see a little more detail on it.

Attachments

• 1909 indian front.JPG
    1909 indian front.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 1909 Indian back.JPG
    1909 Indian back.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 262
  • indian house all finds.jpg
    indian house all finds.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 12
Congrats on finding the elusive key date 1909S IH. Too bad about the condition, but still a great find! :thumbsup:

Great find. I have been metal detecting many years and any hunt that yields an Indian Head is a good hunt. Congrats

Nice one, dunno if any of my IHPs had mintmarks.

Does anyone know if it has any value in this condition? I'd like to clean it, but not sure how for this type of coin.

Does anyone know if it has any value in this condition? I'd like to clean it, but not sure how for this type of coin.

I would leave it like it is. Then just get a buyer who can appreciate that perfect is boring and likes a lil character and age in his collection.

Lol! It definitely has "character". It looks like some of the zinc and tin is leaching out causing the bumps. Under a scope I can see tiny pieces of sand and dirt stuck to it, but I haven't tried anything other than running water while wiping with my finger.

First off I know you definitely deserve finding that with the 102+ heat we were hunting in, trying to find some time to post and time to clean the finds from Sat, and Sundays 2 hours. Think this house gave us both a key date coin. That 39 nickel I found looks to be a 39 reverse of 38, soakin for awhile longer to verify. Sunday produced me a silver Rosie and 3 tokens. Again congrats on a knocking out of the park on your first Indian.

So cool..good for you!

1909 Indian, That is a sweet find!!

Sweet! 1909 S. congrats!

Congratulations on finding the Indian Head! Still remember my first, I was stoked! I've tried to clean indians like that before with hot peroxide and ended up with a coin that looked pitted. I've had good luck rubbing them between my index finger and thumb. Sometimes dipping my fingers in olive oil before I do this. I'll repeat this periodically over several months. I like to think the oil loosens particles on the coins surface over time that can be wiped away later. Hopefully preserving and or improving the detail.

Last edited:
EXCELLENT FIND!!! I too found my first indian head penny today! Although mine was not a key date, 1865, they are awesome coins to find! Congrats on the first and keep up the hunting!

Killer coin.
Sadly I think it's toast.
But it's your toast, and many will never dig one of those.
I know I haven't.
They seem to not like me.
Carl

Great find. As far as cleaning it you need to decide what your going to do with it. If your going to sell it then my suggestion is don't touch it anymore. I agree with ( other post up top) to find someone who wants it like that. Other than that, there is a few different ways of cleaning with end results different. Again, your decision as to how you want it. If it were mine, I'd talk to many different coin dealers to get idea how much it's worth. And sell it to collector for top dollar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back