Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years i have been wanting one of these big beauties for my collection and digging the fields here the odd,s are slim finding a Cartwheel so E-Bay i went , it,s not easy finding of these giants with out major rim damage , i think its in pretty good shape for 38.00 USD . :laughing7: this weekend starts the fall field hunts for 2 months with the people from the Historic Society i cant wait !!! Thanks for looking :thumbsup: Jim

Attachments

• Cartwheel 1797 obverse.jpg
    Cartwheel 1797 obverse.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 856
  • Cartwheel 1797 reverse.jpg
    Cartwheel 1797 reverse.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 1797 Soho mint.jpg
    1797 Soho mint.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 800
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Marchas45 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
High Plains Digger said:
I like them also, but I was able to get mine when they were much newer at only 175 years old. I have the 2 penny, penny, and the smaller one, which I suspect is a half penny, but it could be a farthing? Probably a half penny, but perhaps one of the mates there that knows this stuff will tell me for sure. One thing about it, with a pocket full of these things, one wouldn't want to wander home slightly tipsey and fall into the canal. Right to the bottom!

Yes i have the smaller one also known as a 1 penny , interesting stories to read about the coins. Jim
http://www.currencyhelp.net/british-cartwheel-penny.html

The coins turned out to be extremely unpopular with the general populace because of its monstrous weight and size. (The other reason this coin suffered considerable damage - it's size) It was too cumbersome to carry around a lot of large and heavy loose change in the purse or pouch for average everyday purchases. So the term “Cartwheel” was given to these coins because people complained they were as big as cartwheels.

There where also a lot of counterfeits made.

No, not for Cartwheels. I owned one a while back and purposely purchased it because it was counterfeit. I have never seen another, and definitely not one that was on the crude side like the one I had. The cartwheel penny, 1799 halfpenny, and 1806 & 07 halfpenny were counterfeited MUCH LESS then the earlier halfpennies.

agreed, not seen one yet, but only tells a small story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back