Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years i have been wanting one of these big beauties for my collection and digging the fields here the odd,s are slim finding a Cartwheel so E-Bay i went , it,s not easy finding of these giants with out major rim damage , i think its in pretty good shape for 38.00 USD . :laughing7: this weekend starts the fall field hunts for 2 months with the people from the Historic Society i cant wait !!! Thanks for looking :thumbsup: Jim

Attachments

• Cartwheel 1797 obverse.jpg
    Cartwheel 1797 obverse.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 856
  • Cartwheel 1797 reverse.jpg
    Cartwheel 1797 reverse.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 1797 Soho mint.jpg
    1797 Soho mint.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 800
Upvote 0
Nice tuppence but you may have paid to much for it but still nice. :thumbsup:

I like them also, but I was able to get mine when they were much newer at only 175 years old. I have the 2 penny, penny, and the smaller one, which I suspect is a half penny, but it could be a farthing? Probably a half penny, but perhaps one of the mates there that knows this stuff will tell me for sure. One thing about it, with a pocket full of these things, one wouldn't want to wander home slightly tipsey and fall into the canal. Right to the bottom!

High Plains Digger said:
I like them also, but I was able to get mine when they were much newer at only 175 years old. I have the 2 penny, penny, and the smaller one, which I suspect is a half penny, but it could be a farthing? Probably a half penny, but perhaps one of the mates there that knows this stuff will tell me for sure. One thing about it, with a pocket full of these things, one wouldn't want to wander home slightly tipsey and fall into the canal. Right to the bottom!

Yes i have the smaller one also known as a 1 penny , interesting stories to read about the coins. Jim
http://www.currencyhelp.net/british-cartwheel-penny.html

The coins turned out to be extremely unpopular with the general populace because of its monstrous weight and size. (The other reason this coin suffered considerable damage - it's size) It was too cumbersome to carry around a lot of large and heavy loose change in the purse or pouch for average everyday purchases. So the term “Cartwheel” was given to these coins because people complained they were as big as cartwheels.

Deepdiger60 said:
High Plains Digger said:

Yes i have the smaller one also known as a 1 penny , interesting stories to read about the coins. Jim

The coins turned out to be extremely unpopular with the general populace because of its monstrous weight and size. (The other reason this coin suffered considerable damage - it's size) It was too cumbersome to carry around a lot of large and heavy loose change in the purse or pouch for average everyday purchases. So the term “Cartwheel” was given to these coins because people complained they were as big as cartwheels.

There where also a lot of counterfeits made.

Marchas45 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
High Plains Digger said:

Marchas45 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
High Plains Digger said:

Its beyond me why anyone would go to all the trouble to counterfeit a penny :dontknow: Jim

Marchas45 said:

27. something is not 2 pence. A 2d coin is almost 57 grams.

I do like them also, but do not own one.

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Marchas45 said:

Glad you told him and not me.

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Marchas45 said:

Ill be darned lol it is a 1 penny i dont have a measuring devise for MM i just used a ruler its 37 mm = 1.45669 inches the seller did not be pacific on the weight or size i just assumed it was a 2 penny , that's ok ill get the 2 penny next and know better thanks for the correction Rick , hhmm what is the smaller one i have then ? 1/2 penny ? live and learn Jim

Deepdiger60 said:
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Marchas45 said:

Ill be darned lol it is a 1 penny i dont have a measuring devise for MM i just used a ruler its 37 mm = 1.45669 inches the seller did not be pacific on the weight or size i just assumed it was a 2 penny , that's ok ill get the 2 penny next and know better thanks for the correction Rick , hhmm what is the smaller one i have then ? 1/2 penny ? live and learn Jim

DD60 can you post a pic of your smaller one, with ruler, and /or weight ? I have "heard" of other denominations of the cartwheel design, but there are none listed in the Krause cat. ? Perhaps someone else will know more ?

I coppied this from another website;
"There had been plans to strike halfpence and farthings in the cartwheel style, but the government were worried that this would stimulate a demand that Boulton would be unable to fulfil. Soho patterns are known. "

BTW I do think the one you got is a nice coin, AND if you wanted it for your collection the price is immeterial. If you found anything 1793 to 97 US in that shape, you'd be a dancing a jig for sure, Maybe you have ? I know you have found some nice stuff.

Hopefully with two of you having the unreported smaller coin
High Plains Digger said:

We will get to see a picture of one of them.

Woodland Detectors said:
:hello: Hey Jim, good to see you my friend. Nice find you got there. :icon_thumright:

Hey Mike long time no see soon ill be out in the fields digging coins and relics not buying them lol I seen your new member of the family Congrats !! Jim

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Hopefully with two of you having the unreported smaller coin
High Plains Digger said:

We will get to see a picture of one of them.

Ok what i have is confusing :read2: the small one is a 1807 Farthing half penny its not got the title of Cartwheel it looks the same but much smaller here is a wikipedia stock photo of it , maybe that is what HPD has also . Jim

Attachments

• George III 1807 halfpenny.jpg
    George III 1807 halfpenny.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 508
that example is in nice shape ;D
I also had to hold one of these monsters in my hand & could not wait til I found one, so I ordered a lot of Three from Xbay last year..
they are truly massive, not just diameter, but 5mm thick!
the catherine the great russian 5 kopecks rival for size,
I found that there was an issue that equalled 20 of these,
it's listed as the largest round copper coin: the Sestroretsk ruble of 1771.
1030.6 grams. 75.9 mm wide and 26.8 mm thick :o

Attachments

• 1771 RUBLE.jpg
    1771 RUBLE.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,338
steelheadwill said:
that example is in nice shape ;D
I also had to hold one of these monsters in my hand & could not wait til I found one, so I ordered a lot of Three from Xbay last year..
they are truly massive, not just diameter, but 5mm thick!
the catherine the great russian 5 kopecks rival for size,
I found that there was an issue that equalled 20 of these,
it's listed as the largest round copper coin: the Sestroretsk ruble of 1771.
1030.6 grams. 75.9 mm wide and 26.8 mm thick :o

I thought my 5 kopecks was large !!! that ruble is not a coin it,s a hub cap :o lol , i never even knew it existed it says the platelet was hand sawed !! geezz i looked at one just now $ 55,000.00 ill just have to look at pictures Jim

Attachments

• sammlung_rubel.jpg
    sammlung_rubel.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 379
Deepdiger60 said:
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Marchas45 said:

I have never seen a smaller 1 penny version of a 2 penny cartwheel. A cartwheel is a lot bigger than a half dollar and a lot thicker and real heavy hence my thought on the counterfiet angle when you said 27 grams. I need to check out this 1 penny that I'm not aware off. Mmmmmmm :laughing9:

www.currencyhelp.net/british-cartwheel-penny.ht

Ok, I had to go to the basement and dig out my coins. My memory was only half good as the farthing I have is 1799. and the other "small" coin like the 1797 is a 1813 from the Isle of Man (3 legs?). But there are the 2d and 1d. The name Boulton comes from deep in the memory banks, and aren't these coins significant because they were the first to be stamped by steam driven presses?

Attachments

• MVC-440S.JPG
    MVC-440S.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 307
looks over cleaned to me, but about the right price :-\

Marchas45 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
High Plains Digger said:

No, not for Cartwheels. I owned one a while back and purposely purchased it because it was counterfeit. I have never seen another, and definitely not one that was on the crude side like the one I had. The cartwheel penny, 1799 halfpenny, and 1806 & 07 halfpenny were counterfeited MUCH LESS than the earlier halfpennies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back