Finally got out again

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
It has been awhile, but I finally got to go MDing again yesterday. I had talked to a farmer on Friday who told me he is partnering with a developer to build a housing sub-division on his land. As we talked, I mentioned that MDing was a hobby of mine. He told me they had burnt, then bulldozed an old tenement house on the property. I didn't even have to ask. He told me I could go check it out if I wanted to.

Here are pics of the site, including an old plow, and some of the tremendous amounts of trash that was in the area. When the house burnt, the fire was so hot that the tin roof melted and ran off to form gobs. These gobs, nails, and thousands of pieces of other trash made detecting difficult. There were lots of broken bottles and glassware. Man, I wish I could have gotten in there before it was burned and dozed. I'll show pics of the finds in the next post.

Mike

Attachments

• housesite.jpg
    housesite.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 268
  • broken plate.jpg
    broken plate.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 278
  • plow.jpg
    plow.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 278
  • melted tin.jpg
    melted tin.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
I think I'd have to ask the farmer if I could have that old plow, what an awsum piece of yard art that would make! It's not like he's still using it.

And here are the rest of the finds. Once again I live up to my moniker, few coins and a lot of "trash". The big tag reads N. C. Wildlife Resources Commission 1949. The Double Line Cola bottle is marked Rocky Mount, NC. It was made in 1948. I looked at a site with The Double Line bottle history, and Rocky Mount was not listed.

I believe the wheel cover is early '50s Chrysler.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Attachments

• tag & penny.jpg
    tag & penny.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 242
  • misc bottles_3.jpg
    misc bottles_3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 243
  • misc bottles_2.jpg
    misc bottles_2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 240
  • misc bottles_1.jpg
    misc bottles_1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 240
  • insulator.jpg
    insulator.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Chrysler wheel cover.jpg
    Chrysler wheel cover.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 3 drink bottles.jpg
    3 drink bottles.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 2 drink bottles.jpg
    2 drink bottles.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 240
  • penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 243
littleton said:
I think I'd have to ask the farmer if I could have that old plow, what an awsum piece of yard art that would make! It's not like he's still using it.

The thought crossed my mind, but I wanted to survive when I got home. I'm not looked on with good humor (at least for a few minutes, then her curiosity takes over) when I drag a bunch of old bottles in the house.

Actually, finding old farm equipment in the edges of fields and in the woods around here isn't that uncommon.

Mike

Mike, I can only imagine your fustration. You know there is good stuff under the junk. Just got to get to it. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back