Finally got my new detector

Blue_Dude

May 15, 2005
Wisconsin
The UPS guy I waited all day for got here at 7:30 tonight. I put it together and headed to my parents old farm house to try it out. When I arrived it was already starting to get dark so I fight the mosquitos in the yard. The first hit I dug it and found this 1923 merc. It was around 5 inches down and I couldn't believe how clean it came out of the ground(it is pretty dry here right now). I dug a couple more Mem. pennies and some foil and headed out. The garrett 1350 looks to be a pretty nice machine for me. I had it set in coin mode and still have to figure out how to use all the controls. Thanks to Kellyco for the great customer service. Now I have to go find some rings I hope. This forum has been great getting me started in the right direction. One problem I have on the parents farm is all the junk that is buried there. I can't go a foot without hitting garbage I would be digging all day to hit everything in no discrimination in a 20 foot area. I thought of eventually getting a smaller coil for this. Would this help much? Thanks all for your input ahead of time. Sorry the pic is blurry, Have to recharge my camera batteries.

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0
You can't beat that for your first find with the new detector. It looks like a nice coin.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck!

Some areas are so full of trash it's unbelievable. ?It is with a heavy heart I search these ground's Because I dig everything and don't use discriminate, some areas teach me to learn how to find easier places that will produce more. But I still go back to the bad spots cause you just never know!

I decided to become a charter member the second time I hit this site. I have learned so much here I figured I had to give to keep this great informative site going.
HH all

Blue_Dude said:
I decided to become a charter member the second time I hit this site. I have learned so much here I figured I had to give to keep this great informative site going.
HH all

I agree with that....I have been MDing for about a month now...I have found a gold ring and a 1941 Merc dime....without the info from everyone here I dont think that would have happened. Thanks to everyone!!

My merc dime is black! should I clean it?

g R E A T F I R S T F I N D S...................HH in the future

great going keep posting

Changing to a smaller coil won't keep you from hitting all those junk targets but it will help you seperate them out. As an example, I hunt a site that is full of coins but is also full of junk. When a pull tab and a coin are lying close together I can take the small coil and narrow down the signal and just dig the coin. As everyone says, you are going to have to dig the junk to find the gold however. The site referenced is so full of junk it would probably destroy the turf if I dug every signal so I am just digging the coins......well, most of the time I do occasioinally dig junk by mistake! JIM

Good find!

HH

Lonewolfe

Great find and I recommend a smaller sniper coil.In one area I hunt I have to disc out all but the high numbers because of all the trash.I don't like doing it but sometimes for me anyway its a must.

peace,bigrig

WELCOME and grats on your new MD and its first great find,Dano said it all,Dig all and clean that site untill you learn your MD better.Look forward to some great finds from you BlueDude.HH :)

Very nice finds for a first time out. I still havent found a mercury yet. Welcome and thanks for posting and what ever Dano said. LOL
HH

Welcome... great merc love em...too much junk dig it all and then there is not too much junk and then you will get to the fainter signals and some even better things

ye gotta clean out an area to get at the good stuff.. it is good to know that this signal or that is a bottle top but if you leave it ti will interfere with good things below it

Vrent

this site does rock - the ideas and tips r great - and inspiring ;)

I salute him too! too bad i cant be a charter member! ive been on this site for a long time! (no paypal)!! >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'(
Man o man tho! Marc's gonna get rich theres so many charter members!! HH CS id give Marc money if there was some other way! this site ROX!
PS great find carat hope u enjoy your new md!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back