Finally dug my nemesis coin, short hunt today.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, had about an hour free, so hit my closest site about 7 minutes away. For some reason I have not been able to dig a V Nickel. I know this is not a rare coin and they are posted every day, but for some reason I have never dug one. This year I've dug 3 cent nickels, a Shield Nickel, Buffalo nickels and War Nickels. Today I finally dug a really iffy signal, only pulltab range in one direction and found this in the hole.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514170241.866721.jpg

I rubbed it enough to find what I was looking for, a faint V. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514170316.302996.jpg
Cleaned up and I think it is 1903.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514170429.095899.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514170442.648091.jpg

Also found a very small play money coin.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514171063.782941.jpg

Merry Christmas!!

Upvote 22
WELL BOY HOWDY!!! Congratulations on sniping that elusive little bugger! It must have something to do with geography the amount of certain coins getting circulated in differenet regions of the states? Heck, I don't know? Certainly glad you were able to notch the V Nickel off your Bucket List and in 2017. That looks like Sonic the Hedgehog on your play money too. How COOL!:headbang:

Very nice �� congratulations and Merry Christmas to you also

You have broken the seal. Now you'll be finding them all the time, right? Congrats!

Funny you have dug a Nova, a NJ copper, and a KG II this year, along with three seated silvers. The V nickel is the earliest to find of any of those others. Strange how it goes with this hobby.

Big Congrats!!! I know all to well how you feel, I still haven’t dug a Shield Nickel yet, not a rare coin either. Well done!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Congratualtions on the V-Nickel, may many more find your coil! :occasion14:

Everyone has their nemesis coin. For me it was the Barber Quarter. I had even dug Spanish silver, Seated coins, and an 1804 Half Cent before I finally found a Barber Quarter. It took more years than I care to admit, but I finally dug one. Congrats on your first V Nickel, and Merry Christmas to you.

Congratulations on the first V. You had a great year!

WELL BOY HOWDY!!! Congratulations on sniping that elusive little bugger! It must have something to do with geography the amount of certain coins getting circulated in differenet regions of the states? Heck, I don't know? Certainly glad you were able to notch the V Nickel off your Bucket List and in 2017. That looks like Sonic the Hedgehog on your play money too. How COOL!:headbang:

Thx man! Not sure why this coin was so elusive. To find one V Nickel it took digging 209 wheats, if this is the ratio I may go crazy...

Funny you have dug a Nova, a NJ copper, and a KG II this year, along with three seated silvers. The V nickel is the earliest to find of any of those others. Strange how it goes with this hobby.

This hobby can be strange at times, my first silver coin ever last year was an almost perfect Seated Dime. That coin got me hooked... Merry Christmas!

Everyone has their nemesis coin. For me it was the Barber Quarter. I had even dug Spanish silver, Seated coins, and an 1804 Half Cent before I finally found a Barber Quarter. It took more years than I care to admit, but I finally dug one. Congrats on your first V Nickel, and Merry Christmas to you.

Merry Christmas! Yeah, I was beginning to think my detector had a glitch in the software that permanently discriminates V's... Thx

Big Congrats!!! I know all to well how you feel, I still haven’t dug a Shield Nickel yet, not a rare coin either. Well done!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Thx & Merry Christmas! I hope your first hole of 2018 is a Shield!

Nice job getting that off your back:thumbsup: the trime is my nemesis :laughing7:

Nice job getting that off your back:thumbsup: the trime is my nemesis :laughing7:

The super tiny Trime. That's a tough one for sure. I was fortunate to get my one and ONLY trime off a construction project. A curb tear out which brought the little silver pinky nail of coinage right to the surface with only a bit of dust covering it. If I remember it rang up on my DFX like a pull tab. One reason right there many folks pass them over. Not that this will enhance your chances of finding one in the wild but, do you have one in your possession you can practice on in a test setting? Just a thought. I am hungry like a wolf to recover a Seated Half Dime and do have one in my possession. I still haven't stuck it in the dirt and practiced on it but, think it might create a signal or tone in my brain that reminds me to dig that "uncommon" VDI-tone in the field I just might pass over. I usually dig every repeatable signal from iron on up so I think I am just lacking many Seated Half Dimes in my area. I probably should have sent this in a PM but, maybe someone else might give this method a try. I hope you get your trime creade.:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back