Finally, an old button, well, for around here..

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
went back to an old house in town that I had detected previously somewhat with the ace 250, it is extremely trashy but I was determined to find something. the 4 inch pliers are not steel, maybe pot metal with copper plating. 1/2 of a harmonica reed. a car wash token, old gas valve, hydraulic connector, electrical connector and a couple of tubes (tooth paste etc). the dog vaccine tag is 1934, I didn't even know they had them back then, using the Mulford vaccine. the button was a green encrusted thing that was obviously a button and had something written on it but was unreadable. After using electrolysis on both the tag and the button, I could read the toasted button, it says SOUTHSIDE RAPID TRANSIT and has several S's, T's and R's intertwined on the center of the button. A quick check online says that this was a Chicago company from the late 1880's to around 1900. This house is about 1/2 mile from the old depot. The only clad I found was mainly in one coin spill next to the main road. I know that this isn't the super cool colonial buttons that the guys back east find but for my neck of the woods, its pretty darn cool! thanks for reading. Jerry View attachment 1047713
View attachment 1047715
View attachment 1047716
View attachment 1047717
View attachment 1047718
View attachment 1047719
View attachment 1047721
View attachment 1047714

Upvote 13
Those tubes always fool me into thinking I have something really good, until I dig them, lol. I run into them at old house sites pretty often. I see nothing at all wrong with those finds. Congrats!

Love em buddy! Very cool button and here's the deal my friend. You can only dig what history has left you in the ground. Lots of my site have had settlement since the 17th or 18th century. So I've often times got a hundred or 200 years on you guys. That certainly leaves a LOT more possibility for great old finds. You're doing great buddy. Keep the cool stuff coming

good digs looter! like the old dog tag.I have only found a few and can't seem to break the 1950's.Some old coins,jewelry are waiting for you somewhere.While you are out hunting, keep a eye out for Native American artifacts too!allot of native stuff was found down, over that way.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the button really made my day, I just knew it had to be older than any of my other ones. That was my second Reed. The gold token got my heart pumping for a moment, it even has some heft to it but the Volkswagen shut it down. Hopefully I can keep wading thru all that trash, didn't show the car junk lol.

Great hunt Looter, I love all those cool finds, tokens and badges are way cool finds, I get as excited as a coin when I see them pop up!

That's not a bad day at all. Cool finds!
Remember,
A bad day of detecting is better than a good day at work! lol

Hi DL those are toy pliers , some nice finds there bro !!

yeah, it was pretty obvious that the pliers were toys although it was common practice around here back in the day for a lot of the men to carry the very small pliers and channel locks in their pockets(just in case you need them in an emergency), this was before the Leathermans were around as we know them now. after a little research, I found out that my button was actually a conductor's button for the railway, even cooler. also it was from before the 1900's as well. hopefully I will make it back out there today, HH and GL everyone Jerry

Great dog tag and the conductors button is super cool! Look like it has some color still on it! Congrats!

I saw the gold token and thought you had found a gold coin! Lol! I can only imagine what you thought when you saw it in the ground!

yeah, it was pretty obvious that the pliers were toys

Hi Jerry I just was a bit excited about the toy pliers(could be just the kid in me), have been told that some people collect them, probably not a big dollar item but wonder what they would fetch ?

Good Stuff

A Few keepers & Some Money & Some Money makers.

Davers

the pliers are broken, the nut piece that held the two sections together had broken off, my first thoughts were of a small useable set to carry myself but these weren't made for real use. I can only imagine what all was "fixed" with them years ago LOL.

the pliers are broken, the nut piece that held the two sections together had broken off, my first thoughts were of a small useable set to carry myself but these weren't made for real use. I can only imagine what all was "fixed" with them years ago LOL.

One Can only Imagine...

Nice finds DL. GL&HH.

That button is way cool! I would consider that a great if it was the only thing i dug. I would bet there is plenty more to find at that place. GL and really nice finds, man. :thumbsup:

Nice assortment of goodies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back