Figurine Relic?

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Picked this up at a local auction for $30.00 with no extra information.
It is completely made of a hard stiff metal and total weight is 2 1/4 pounds.
Overall dimensions are 10" long X 5" Wide X 6 1/4" High. One of the Ox measures about 3 1/4" long.

To me it looks like an India crafted antique.

DSCN6844.jpgDSCN6867.jpgDSCN6866.jpgDSCN6864.jpgDSCN6863.jpgDSCN6862.jpgDSCN6860.jpgDSCN6859.jpgDSCN6857.jpgDSCN6854.jpgDSCN6853.jpgDSCN6846.jpgDSCN6868.jpg

I'd be interested if anybody knows anymore, such as origin, method of construction and of coarse, value.
I think the perched birds may carry a meaning.

Thanks, Your Bud Aurum

Upvote 0
I found a similar one. Right down to the wire twist to hold the tongue to the crossbar.

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/bullock-cart-dokra-18246745373.html

Do a google search on "Bullock Cart Dokra"

Thanks Charlie, Very similar (half the size) and construction looks identical. Wonder what he's asking?
Brass material had me fooled, the metal seemed to hard to me.

I read somewhere made by some ancient secret wax technique.
Well I was right about India, Any idea when it was made?
Just seen a similar one on amazon for $1,670.00, Could it be?

Your Bud Aurum

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If anything... it's decorative. :thumbsup:
Looks to be made of blackened pot metal.

"Pot metal is an alloy of low-melting point metals that manufacturers use to make fast, inexpensive castings. The term "pot metal" came about due to the practice at automobile factories in the early 20th century of gathering up non-ferrous metal scraps from the manufacturing processes and melting them in one pot to form into cast products. There is no metallurgical standard for pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast. Because of its low melting temperature, it requires no sophisticated foundry equipment or specialized molds. Manufacturers sometimes use it to experiment with molds and ideas before casting final products in a higher quality alloy.

Depending on the exact metals "thrown into the pot," pot metal can become unstable over time, as it tends to bend, distort, crack, shatter, and pit with age. The low boiling point of zinc and fast cooling of newly cast parts often trap air bubbles within the cast part, weakening it. Many components common in pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and internal corrosion of the metal often causes decorative plating to flake off. Pot metal is not easily glued, soldered, or welded. In the late nineteenth century, pot metal referred specifically to a copper alloy that was primarily alloyed with lead. Mixtures of 67% copper with 29% lead and 4% antimony and another one of 80% copper with 20% lead were common formulations. The primary component of pot metal is zinc, but often the caster adds other metals to the mix to strengthen the cast part, improve flow of the molten metal, or to reduce cost. With a low melting point of 419 °C (786 °F), zinc is often alloyed with other metals including lead, tin, aluminum, and copper.

Pot metal is generally used for parts that are not subject to high stresses or torque. Items created from pot metal include toys, furniture fittings, tool parts, electronics components, automotive parts, inexpensive jewelry and improvised weaponry. It is also used in inexpensive electric guitars and other budget priced musical instruments."

Great I.D. by Charlie! :notworthy:

Dave

Upvote 0
Todays exchange rate is 12 bucks.

Upvote 0
If anything... it's decorative. :thumbsup:
Looks to be made of blackened pot metal.

"Pot metal is an alloy of low-melting point metals that manufacturers use to make fast, inexpensive castings. The term "pot metal" came about due to the practice at automobile factories in the early 20th century of gathering up non-ferrous metal scraps from the manufacturing processes and melting them in one pot to form into cast products. There is no metallurgical standard for pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast. Because of its low melting temperature, it requires no sophisticated foundry equipment or specialized molds.

Great I.D. by Charlie! :notworthy:

Dave

Thanks AntiQ, I tend to believe it is pot metal and not brass. I scratched the bottom and revealed a shiny silver color.
Ones I see for sale now are all shiny brass (including the one on Amazon) and anything larger than a couple inches is probably not solid.
Other than the link Charlie found, I couldn't find any others looking like mine.

Anyone think I could age this as antique? Late 19th Century? Early 20th?
To me, because of the detail, it looks it would take a craftsman a couple hundred hours to hand carve, mold each piece, then fabricate the one I have.
I wonder how many they could make from each mold? (The Ox in my piece do not look exactly identical)

My Ebay listing; "Vintage Antique Bullock Cart Dokra Handmade Detailed Pot Metal W/ Ox" start it @ $100?

Your Bud Aurum

Upvote 0
Thanks AntiQ, I tend to believe it is pot metal and not brass. I scratched the bottom and revealed a shiny silver color.
Ones I see for sale now are all shiny brass (including the one on Amazon) and anything larger than a couple inches is probably not solid.
Other than the link Charlie found, I couldn't find any others looking like mine.

Anyone think I could age this as antique? Late 19th Century? Early 20th?
To me, because of the detail, it looks it would take a craftsman a couple hundred hours to hand carve, mold each piece, then fabricate the one I have.
I wonder how many they could make from each mold? (The Ox in my piece do not look exactly identical)

My Ebay listing; "Vintage Antique Bullock Cart Dokra Handmade Detailed Pot Metal W/ Ox" start it @ $100?

Your Bud Aurum

Bud, if you're a chemist and are trained at mixing chemicals, then you might be able to artificially age this piece.
But based on personal experience :laughing7: when we attempt to change the look of a metal... more often then not, we end up ruining the piece all together.

I see you live in PA, my suggestion would be to let it sit outside for the winter.
With exposure to the cold, snow and the freeze thaw cycle this piece might help age naturally. :icon_scratch:
Other then that it is what it is... I'd just leave it alone if I were you.

Dave

Upvote 0

Bud, if you're a chemist and are trained at mixing chemicals, then you might be able to artificially age this piece.
But based on personal experience :laughing7: when we attempt to change the look of a metal... more often then not, we end up ruining the piece all together.

I see you live in PA, my suggestion would be to let it sit outside for the winter.
With exposure to the cold, snow and the freeze thaw cycle this piece might help age naturally. :icon_scratch:
Other then that it is what it is... I'd just leave it alone if I were you.

Dave

Dave Bud, Sorry, I did not mean to age the piece physically. Looks old to me as is.
I meant to date the Bullock Cart Dokra I have now to when it was made.
To me it looks as if it could be dated late 30's or older. Just don't know.

Your Bud Aurum

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back